ATF: Bighorn - Bedroom TV Mount

tcfake613

I've got a 3685RL. I would like to wall mount an LCD in the bedroom and am wondering if there is a specific mount in the wall or if I have to locate an aluminum stud. I used a stud finder and I'm locating definitive areas of "something". I'm not sure the finder I am using works with aluminum or not but it does seem to be pretty accurately finding something.

Any insight would be much appreciated before I go peppering up my wall with holes.

Thanks.

Westwind

Bedroom TV is an option and the factory has a spot that they mount them I would contact them and ask they should be able to help you and eliminate any questions you might have.

stevebotts

We just purchased a 3685 also. We did not get the bedroom TV. We spoke directly to the factory and were told they place a metal sheet behind the wall where the TV should go. All we need to do is mount a lightweight mount. We will pick the RV up in mid-April up in Elkhart and will verify with them before we start drilling. Give them a call to verify.

wdk450

Talk to Heartland Service (or use the search feature at the top right of this page for old threads on the subject) for TV mounting advice. If you have not bought your TV yet, I would consider buying one with a DVD built in, for added convinenece.

K

karykatz

All new Bighorns with the Tall Bedroom Dresser have a backer built in the Sidewall. The backer is centered on the dresser and is 9" wide and starts at the roof line and drops down 21".

I hope this helps

tcfake613

All new Bighorns with the Tall Bedroom Dresser have a backer built in the Sidewall. The backer is centered on the dresser and is 9" wide and starts at the roof line and drops down 21".

I hope this helps

Apparently all new Bighorns except for mine. I now have three holes in my wall that prove there is nothng back there. Any ideas? I pulled the top drawer in the dresser and drilled about 18 holes 1 inch apart horizontally and hit no studs. I drilled three very small holes in the area 9 inches wide by 21 down and hit nothing. I'm at a loss and really hate to continue drilling.

Please help...

tcfake613

Update... It was driving me crazy last night so I went out late and worked on the problem. I located what I believe to be an aluminum bar (or possibly a stud) running horizontally across the wall about 8-10 inches below the ceiling and maybe 2-4 inches high. It almost seems to have the shape of a metal 2x4 running across the wall above the dresser with the wide end facing the wall. Not sure but maybe it is just a backing plate. It is not very thick. I poked the wall with a heavy safety pin making sure not to leave large holes in the wall. Once the pin broke through the shell it would either go all the way in or I couldn't force it any more. Once I located an area where the pin would not go through I drilled a very small hole (1/32") and low and behold... some metal shavings appear. I think I found something. I just have to determine the exact size and location using the method described above. It appears the mounting bracket I have will not work... it is too tall. I found a bracket that is shaped more in line with the area that appers to have support. This bracket is in two pieces which allows you to simply remove the TV from the wall for transport. I would feel better doing that than leaving the TV hang during transport simply because I'm not sure I trust the integrity of the mounting plate behind the wall. I've ordered the bracket which should be in bythe weekend.

If anyone has any input, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

We purchased a new 2011 2985RL 3 weeks ago and inquired on the same issue. Turns out my coach does not have a backer. Please see response from Heartland "The 2985 does not have a backer in the wall. We attach cleats to the sides of cabinets and attach a backer board. You could probably purchase parts form our parts dept if you don’t want to assemble yourself." Just FYI.

wdk450

I remember an old posting on this subject where the poster made up a piece of plywood the same size as the back of the cabinet, covered the board and cabinet back in heavy duty velcro, and screwed the tv mount to the plywood.

At (Quiet) Black Butte Lake COE Campground, near Orland, Ca.

Last edited:

tcfake613

Received the mounting bracket this past weekend and did the install. Turns out there was an aluminum stud positioned horizontally across the wall above my dresser cabinet. Since the stud is only 1 1/2 inches tall I had to drill two extra holes in the bracket for better stability. The bracket I bought allows me to easily remove the TV from the wall for transport... although I believe it would be ok to travel with it mounted. See pic below.

IMG_2428.jpg

rbfdclark

So the 3685 we just purchased has a small 22" TV already mounted in the bedroom. I read something that said that that TV can also be mounted in the storage unit outside since there is a mount located there? Next question, since the bedroom was already set up for a TV, can I replace that small TV with a 32" without doing any other modifications to the wall? We wont pick up the trailer for another week, so I just cant go outside and look at it.

Thanks,

Clark

tcfake613

So the 3685 we just purchased has a small 22" TV already mounted in the bedroom. I read something that said that that TV can also be mounted in the storage unit outside since there is a mount located there? Next question, since the bedroom was already set up for a TV, can I replace that small TV with a 32" without doing any other modifications to the wall? We wont pick up the trailer for another week, so I just cant go outside and look at it.

Thanks,

Clark

I would say you're probably ok. There is a standard TV mount on the wall and you can probably use the bracket from your 22". Just take the bracket off the 22" and install it on the 32". Buy a new bracket to mount your 22" in the basement. My only concern would be the weight rating of the bracket in the bedroom. Can it handle the weight of a 32"? A question to Heartland could probably answer that.

rbfdclark

Thanks Tim...
I am going to mount an LED which is lighter than the LCD. I figured that since it has the one already mounted, it should support the few extra pounds. Probably make it so I can take it off for travel, that way I don't have to worry about the bounce. Anything else you can think about with your 3685 that I should look at or for?

Clark