ATF: Bighorn - Bighorn breaker box capacity

hillsonwheels

Had our coach in for some "well baby" work. Asked about running a dedicated circuit to support a fireplace that I'd installed. Was told there was no room in the breaker box for another circuit.

How can this be? Do you have different size boxes that are installed that are keyed to original equipment installs?

Sure would like to know the answer to that!

Hampton Hill

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Dick, you can get a piggy back breaker that will allow two circuits in one slot.
I've done it a couple of times.

Peace
Dave

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
It's possible the box installed at the factory was just the minimum to support the original equipment of the rig.
That said, I would think a second box could be installed without too much trouble. Or, use 2 slim size breakers instead of one large one.
However, even with a second box and breakers, your totral useage could not exceed the maximum rating of the rig. (50 amps, I would assume)

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Dick. You may already have a wire for the fireplace. Have you removed the plastic panel cover for the breakers? My panel had room for 2 more breakers but there are knockouts in the plastic panel that have to be removed. Look behind the breaker housing for a #12 cable with red tape onit. This may be a prewire for the fireplace. If it's there it should be routed to the cabinet where the fireplace is supposed to go. There may be a plug/outlet there or an access panel to remove. The other end of the wire should hopefully be there.
If You can wait a couple weeks I can give you a hand when we get to Ocala.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Breaker box should look something like this. Plenty of space of additional single or duplex breakers. You can see some of the OEM breakers are the duplex type, with a 20A and 15A side.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Take a look again. Mine had an empty spot for a double 30 amp breaker. I used it to install a 30 plug in the front of the Horn to plug in a generator. Mine looked just like Johns.

hillsonwheels

As I've always believed.......There is a Santa Claus............(Well, at least there is an HOC angel!) :angel: One came by a few days ago and, accepted my assistance in installing a new breaker and a dedicated line to an outlet for our fireplace! I've been telling people for years that there really is a Santa Claus. I'll soon be 68 years old and he's never failed me yet! :cool: Thanks again Santa (HOC angel).

Dick

ncc1701e

As I've always believed.......There is a Santa Claus............(Well, at least there is an HOC angel!) :angel: One came by a few days ago and, accepted my assistance in installing a new breaker and a dedicated line to an outlet for our fireplace! I've been telling people for years that there really is a Santa Claus. I'll soon be 68 years old and he's never failed me yet! :cool: Thanks again Santa (HOC angel).

Dick

Merry Chritmas Sir Dick and you don't look a day over 67. How goes it these days down in sunny Florida? We're enjoying a rather mild start to winter here in KY waiting for the new year and returning to Longs, SC for a couple months. If you get really bored down there in all that sun and surf stuff in Florida, come on up to SC and we'll play a little golf, drink a cool one, and tell a few lies (LOL).