ATF: Bighorn - BIGHORN SIDEWALL DELAMINATION

I am writing this evening asking for help with our new trailer which is experiencing Delamination issues on the drivers side sidewall and living room slide.

VIN 5SFBG4120DE251344

Warranty start: 6/16/2013

We purchased the trailer new from the Heartland Dealer in June 2013.

Within a short time early in our ownership we noticed a large blemish on the living room slide on the drivers side of the trailer. The dealer made arrangements to fix this early spring when the trailer came out of winter storage. It has recently been fixed to our satisfaction.

However...

Upon arriving at the dealer they also notice several other delamination areas where the sidewall and above the slide area has defects again on the driver's side of the trailer.
This is over the slides on the kitchen and master bed room.

From what I am told the dealer has submitted and obtained approval for the repair.

What my issue is the trailer has very limited use ( less than 3 local trips with total miles under 500) and we are now enduring a new and very expensive trailer having major body work, paint and repairs.
Lost time of use and what I feel is work that should not need to be performed were this trailer to have been properly constructed.

These repairs are needed yet it is soon to be our very short camping season here in Atlantic Canada.

Providing the dealer continues in their current fashion their work is acceptable, however I am struggling to accept the fact that this new trailer needs this work in the first place.

With warranty being what is we want to understand why this is happening and how best to ensure we as the owners are not paying for repairs as this trailer ages and comes out of warranty in the coming weeks.

The sidewall damages are severe and look awful on our new trailer with the full and expensive body paint.

I would like to be contacted as soon as possible with a repair plan that will confirm why this is happening.
In addition I also would like to know what is a long term fix and perhaps discuss if these localized repairs are correct or should a more drastic approach be taken up to and including a sidewall replacement is needed to resolve this.

Last edited by a moderator:

danemayer

Hi graffiticoupe,

The factory doesn't generally post technical responses or service plans on the forum, so let me suggest you call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready.

Update on the repairs...

Coach has been fixed. Dealer with Heartland's guidance determined the roof and trim were not installed properly from Factory when built.

Drivers side where issues were is repaired, repainted. In the course of the repair I asked to have the other side inspected and checked which Heartland agreed to do. Greg Liggat from Heartland was excellent and got the ball rolling after I called and voiced my concerns.