ATF: Bighorn - Ceiling Fan Globe

jaykat

We purchased a 2013 Big Horn 3610RE (and love it, by the way), but have a slight problem. The globe that covers the light bulbs in the ceiling fan has fallen during transport and broken. When we took delivery of it, it had not been installed and we were told that the transporters do not have it installed before it is delivered because of possible breakage. Our dealer installed it and showed us how to remove it in case we had to change light bulbs. It's not a very good design for an RV with only 3 screws holding it. On our second trip out, when we arrived at our destination, we found it on the living room floor in pieces. Now we are in need of a new globe, where we can get one, and how to prevent this from happening in the future once the new one is installed.

danemayer

Hi Jaykat,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. I see you joined the forum a few months ago, so you may already have a sense of the information and help available to you here.

I think your best bet on getting a new globe is to call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032with your VIN # and explain what happened. They should be able to get you a new globe and since it doesn't require a technician to install it, they may agree to ship it to your home instead of to a dealer.

As to how to prevent things like this - I periodically check the light fixtures in the living room, dining room, and bathroom and tighten as necessary. It seems like rattling down the road loosens things up.

dfk009

My Hunter ceiling fans in my home have a wide rubber band around the outside rim of the globe where the 3 screws, screw against the rubber and globe. Acts as a damper from vibration.

donr827

Mine fell off on our first. Thank goodness it did not brake. I backed off on all of the screws then installed the globe and tightened the screws a little at a time so there would be equal pressure on all three screws. So far so good.
Don

jaykat

Thanks, I'll call customer service for help, try the rubber band idea from dfk009 and the equal pressure idea from donr827. Hopefully we won't have any more broken globes once we replace it.