ATF: Bighorn - Covering from King pin to the front cargo hold

wbaker

Bighorn 2009-the covering from the king pin to the front cargo hold is buckling along the edges and has cracked in two places were the horizontal covering meets the vertical covering. Any idea on what is occurring and any solutions?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
The "filon" covering has water damage. You need to check all the caulking around the whole area. You can install chrome auto type to trim screws to the frame members under the B/R and it might help some. Depending on where you buy a new one and have it installed....they "ain't" cheap' They also do not come with the holes cut out. One shipped to me from HL with my 10% discount was $1K and that was not installed.

The cracking could be caused by either frame flex or in my case broken welds in the outside wall over the B/R. If frame flex, you need to have it inspected. You might also contact HL and have some pix to email. They have been known to help people with this even when you are out of warranty.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you have a washing machine in the front closet, check the carpeting under it. If it's wet, or the water lines to it are wet, then you may have found the source of water leak, assuming it's not a frame problem. It's what caused my overhang cover to warp. I used stainless steel self-tapping screws with fender washers to secure it to the framing after it dried out. Then I installed a drain pan under the machine.