ATF: Bighorn - Day/Night Shades

MTPockets

We traded our motor home for a 2012 3055RL Big Horn. The Day/Night Shades in our MH had finger slots in the plastic divider bar between the day and night shade.... Our New Big Horn shades do not have the finger slot so when it comes time to lower or raise the shade, it's difficult to jam the fingers into the fold of the curtain to grasp the bar and raise or lower the night curtain. Shades are used most every day so it really stands out... Horrible design - Were these made correctly? Seems like all shades should have a grasping point on the night shade like the lower bar for the day shade. Our Motor hme had it right... Is there an approved "handle" that can be screwed into that bar to grasp so they can be operated.

Last edited:

caissiel

We also have the day night shades in our unit and there are knobs that are used to raise the both shades, on wider windows we have 2 on each rod or 4 per curtain and smaller windows have center ones. These knobs are about 3/4" diameter and held with screws.

MTPockets

I thought about doing something like that - knobs or a drawer handle - but the strings run through that plastic channel and I'm concerned that the screw to hold it on would catch the string inside and cause the string to wear or break..

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Unless they've changed the design to save a couple of pennies, they should have come with the shades. PM me an address and I can mail you the four that are still on the shades we replaced in the rear with vertical blinds.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I know there were two different designs used. One with the knobs that you've seen posted here and the other had slots on the metal bars for fingers to fit into. THe slot ran the length of the bar.
You shouldn't have any issues adding little knobs as long as you use the shortest screws needed to penetrate the bar. The strings run very close to the center of the bars. You should be able to find small knobw at a ome center store. Better yet, call Heartland Monday AM and see if they might be able to get you some assistance.

Westwind

I have a 2012 3070RL and I have the knobs, could be the factory has more than one supplier or different brands for different models. Your handling it the right way. I have to admit I don't find them (D/N Shades) very user friendly.
Maybe the more they are used they will loosen up, I know I need to bone up on repairing them because the string doesn't last long.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I have a 2012 3070RL and I have the knobs, could be the factory has more than one supplier or different brands for different models. Your handling it the right way. I have to admit I don't find them (D/N Shades) very user friendly.
Maybe the more they are used they will loosen up, I know I need to bone up on repairing them because the string doesn't last long.

Here's some "reading room" literature to get you started. I filed these a while back after reading about the problems with the strings. So far, mine have held up.

View attachment 16990View attachment 16991View attachment 16992View attachment 16993View attachment 16994

Westwind

Thanks for the info John, I saved it to my Bighorn file since I know they will come in handy in the future.

convert

Reginald Hromek
I have a 2011 Big Horn and have had strings break. They all have knobs I would call the Mfg. When I called them I found they are warrented for 2 yrs. They repaired mine at no cost 13 mos later. Over 2 yrs they repair for $15 for S&H. They were very accomodating. Maybe just a slip up on the knobs. My blinds were mfg bySpecialty Window Coverings in Goshen, IN (574) 262-5190. Hope this helps

doc

Called Heartland today and explained that my shades don't have the knobs. They took my VIN# and said my shades have finger pulls. I explained that yes the day part of the shade has these finger pulls for raising and lowering the day part of the shade but there is no place to grab to lower and raise the night part of the shade. Sorry I guess it's just the way these shades are made. Guess I will look for knobs in Home Depot or Menards and try to remedy the problem myself. Why do these manufacturers do this to us? When they have a good thing, as in the previous shades we had in our Montana, why do they change things?

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
We saw a new rig the other day, and was not very pleased with the knobs. They seem to be too flimsy.

MTPockets

I started this topic with the idea it was an "Ask the factory" site... Anybody here from the factory? And, what is the "factory" statement on this subject?

jimtoo

Looks like mine, but no knob..... I'll give my dealer and Heartland a call................

The above is the post you made earlier, and you have had answers from many others. What was the answer you received from Heartland when you called? The factory does monitor these forums but when your question has been answered, or when you call the factory or your dealer like you stated, there is no reason for them to make a post on the forum.

Jim M

MTPockets

jimtoo... Maybe I was expecting more. I've been in touch with the dealer who at this point seems to be telling me the shade I have is normal - nothing definitive, but certainly seems that way right now. I ordered the unit from the dealer so isn't it their job to get this right? They too asked me what Heartland said - that's why I posted the question here under "ask the factory" = seemed like the place to go for a factory answer; Isn't that a reasonable conclusion? It's really hard for me to believe that is the normal shade - There is absolutely 'no' provision for lowering the night shade, or for raising the night shade. When the shade is up, the folds are all tight against the rail - no room for a finger, and my wife has nails so she's afraid they will get broken or the nail will rip the shade. To me it's a defect, but I guess in reality it's a work in process. No hard answer yet - I'm still waiting for one.

jimtoo

MTPockets,,, I agree with you about the shades,, should have some "easy" way of raising and lowering the things,, even the knobs that are on ours are to small. Wife does not like them at all, (and me also). I do agree the dealer should work to get it right,,, but when the dealer ask you what Heartland said...I don't think he is doing his job or he would have been in contact with Heartland. I think you should call Heartland Customer service yourself. Please let us know what happens.

Jim M

doc

jimtoo, In my previous post (#13), I stated that I called the factory. The answer I got was "this is the way this particular brand of day/night shades are made. There are no knobs on them." If you care to send me a pm, I will give you the particulars of who I talked to and when. I guess we will have to find a way to use these shades. Was hoping for a better solution.