ATF: Bighorn - Day/Night Shades

MTPockets

I rec'd a PM just a little while ago from Heartland (surprised a this later hour).. Asked that I send some pics which I will do and let you all know when I get a reply...... Thanks for all the input......

MTPockets

Regarding the Day-Nite shade with no provision to raise or lower:....... I received a call today from Heartland Customer Service after they reviewed my concern and pics .... They are sending me knobs to install or will cover as warranty if I choose to have the dealer install them, but told me to have the dealer call them first. After Heartland service discussed with their own purchasing as well as the shade supplier on this issue, my contact agreed that one or the other should have been there - the finger slot or knobs, and could not clearly ascertain as to why my new unit did not have knobs. Mine was just built in October 2011. My concern about the screw interfering with the internal strings: The shade supplier says when they install knobs it's done by machine and the screw hole is not actually drilled all the way through the aluminum, just until the drill starts to break through. The screws are short and I am told they will not get in the way of the string. I will decide if I will install myself or take it to the dealer. If I screw it up, it's my problem to live with, so letting the dealer do it may be the wise choice.

Thanks Heartland.

ChopperBill

All the ones that have knobs have screws in 'em. I wouldn't worry about breaking the strings. Dealer probably wont use as much care installing them as you would. Go for it.

MTPockets

Good point. RE: doing it better than dealer. I thought about that. I don't have any real qualms about doing it - plus, the distance to drive there and back would cost me $40 for fuel ..... Sixteen knobs, sixteen carefully drilled holes, sixteen carefully installed screws to a reasonable torque - Maybe an hours' work ..... Same job by the Dealer - Home to dealer - 45 minutes, wait time (unknown) Dealer to Home - 45 minutes - plus hitch-up, park - twice ..... probably all day ..... Hmmmmm, one hour vs. all day, .................... Dealer does have a free lunch and comfortable lounge chairs .......... Camper World is next door ..... I could spend some money ...... I'll let you all know how it turns out...........

jbeletti

Terry,

Glad this is on the right track for you. Best of luck on your install. Let us know how it comes out. Sorry to hear we installed what seems like the wrong product in your unit.

Stop by the Tampa show to say hi.

Jim

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
It's a little late in the evening, but if I remember tomorrow, I'll retrieve the shades I removed from ours from the garage attic and see just how long the screws are and how deep the holes are drilled.