ATF: Bighorn - "E" vs "G" rated tires

abruns

We purchased a new Bighorn 3160EL trailer a couple of weeks ago and the tires that came on it are ST tires with a load rating of "E". When we were shopping for our trailer the brochure we were given showed that the trailers come with a LT tire with a load rating of "G". That's a big selling point.
Was the change in tires for safety and if so why wasn't the trailers already made but still in stock changed to the higher rated and in my opinion better tires?

Thank you,
Alvin

danemayer

Hi abruns,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Heartland has changed standard tires on many models over recent months, probably due to owner feedback asking for tires with greater load capacity and higher reliability.

It's not unheard of for switches to be made locally either at RV dealerships or at tire dealerships. You may be able to upgrade for a reasonable cost. Before changing over, make sure your wheels are rated for 3750 lbs / 110 psi. The wheel capacity is stamped on the inside of the wheel and can be seen from under the trailer.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
ST, E-rated tires replacing LT, G-rated tires was a cost cutting move, nothing more. E-rated tires just barely make the weights of the larger rigs, if you're lucky. The G's have a larger margin and are stronger. The lower the letter, the lower the load rating.

pegmikef

The Heartland Web site also shows LT G rated tires for your BH. I would think Heartland should make good on their advertised specs (. . . hmmm wonder if a dealer was involved and they somehow got changed along the way.) I know a lot of the older Big Horns and Big Countries (2013) came with E rated tires.

GOTTOYS

If the E rated tires that are on there are the infamous Power Kings...Do whatever you need to do to get rid of them. A search on this or any other RV forum should be enough to convince you of that...Is it possible the trailer you bought was from dealer stock and could have been built before the G rated tires were being installed....Don

donr827

Call HL customer service with your vin number and they can tell you what tires your unit was built with. Maybe the dealer made the switch per customer request for another trailer. If so go back and confront the dealer.
Don

sengli

Camper shopping on the local lots, I saw many heartland rigs that were new 14's with power king towmax E rated tires still. The factory didnt make the switch to the G rated sailuns, all that long ago.

GOTTOYS

Call HL customer service with your vin number and they can tell you what tires your unit was built with. Maybe the dealer made the switch per customer request for another trailer. If so go back and confront the dealer.
Don
Shouldn't matter what it was built with..The dealer has the right to change anything they want before they sell it....Don

Gaffer

Shouldn't matter what it was built with..The dealer has the right to change anything they want before they sell it....Don

The dealer isn't giving anything away for nothing. As far as the G rated tires it depends on the build date. It was August or September before they came off the line with them. You can find the build date on the tag on the off door side forward of the propane door.

Westwind

Another thing to remind new purchasers to check prior to purchase, it's easier to negotiate decent tires prior to the sale then after. I had to work in a washer/dryer and a second AC prior to the sale, it was definitely easier, could have been the dealer.

lynndiwagoner

The sticker on the side of the trailer should have the proper data. My BC sticker showed "G" rated tires but had the "E" rated tires on it. I thought Camping World had made a switch on me and I called the factory. They advised that it had "E" rated tires on it when it left the factory and they sent me a new "VIN" sitcker to affix to the rig. It didn't take me too long to switch them out for the Sailun S637's, out of my pocket.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Our Landmark came with G rated Goodyear G614s and we changed them out for H rated Goodyear G114s. The H rated gives us even more of a safety margin.

bsummit

Arkansas Chapter Leader-Retired
You know they changed the GVWR on the Big Horns from 16000 to 15500 lbs and by doing that they didn't have to put G rated tires on them. I don't know what year they did this but my 08 Big Horn came with G rated on it. My 14 3585 came with the blow max on it, but come spring it will have something else on it. I'm leaning toward the Sailin s637's. With the options I have on mine my dry weight is only about a hundred lbs different than the landmark with the same floor plan as mine. So I guess you could say money is what it boils down to.

We just got back from a cross country trip with our ,now former, 2012 3450TS Big Country. It had the Chinese E rated tires. One separated and I caught it and put spare on. Then another separated and did $2000. in Damage. We had US made Goodyear ST load range "G", G614 installed in NM. We just traded for a 2015 3875FB BH ,manufactured 8/15, and it came with Chinese E rated tires. I kept the Goodyears and will put them on. The Goodyears were around $425. each. Great tire.

Last edited by a moderator:

jbeletti

...We had US made Goodyear ST H rated G614 installed in NM....

Hi Jake,

On the Goodyear trailer tires, their LR H tire is the G114. The G614 you mention is LR G. If you can confirm which one you actually have, I can edit your post for you.

Hi Jim.
They are the G614 and do say G on the side even though they are 14 ply rated. Eban at the tire dealer in Santa Fe did say He has never heard of the Goodyears having the issues the Chinese tires have.
Thank you for your assistance.
Jim Keeffe