ATF: Bighorn - FB Black tank Flush

K-Engler

I am having issues flushing the black water tank for the upper bathroom. There are two water connections for flushing the tanks. However, when I connect to the one for the front bath, no water will flow. It is completely stopped up. Is there a valve that needs to be turned on in order to flush the tank for the front Bath?

K-Engler

ATF: Bighorn - Black Tank Flush

I've read a number of the discussions concerning the black tank flush issues and am still at a loss. My issue is that I can not flush the Black Water Tank for the front Bathroom. When I hook the hose up, it acts as if it is completely stopped up. No water flows. I have no issues with the 1/2 bath. Please help

jimtoo

Hi K-Engler,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I think the first thing to do is to look behind the panel and see if the hose is kinked.

I'm sure you will get more suggestions from our other members soon.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
I am having issues flushing the black water tank for the upper bathroom. There are two water connections for flushing the tanks. However, when I connect to the one for the front bath, no water will flow. It is completely stopped up. Is there a valve that needs to be turned on in order to flush the tank for the front Bath?

First of all what YEAR and MODEL Big Horn do you have???

Second...there is only ONE connection for Black Tank Flush. The only valve is a t-handle to pull open your Black tank valve.
Then turn open water from spigot to start flashing tank after it's been empty. Leave on and DO CLOSE t-handle until clear water comes out of sewer hose.

jimtoo

His profile list as owning a 2015 Bighorn 3875FB. Which has the half bath. So it may have 2 tanks. Don't know myself.

danemayer

The 3875FB floor plan is similar to the Landmark 365 Newport. I believe the Newport has 2 flush connections in the UDC as pictured below. If your 3875FB has the same arrangement, I'd guess the Vacuum Breaker is installed backwards. The water line to the Vacuum Breaker could be kinked, but I think they're usually pex, which is pretty hard to kink.

The Vacuum Breaker is often behind an access panel in the shower. The 2nd photo shows what's on the backside of the round access panel, assuming you have that.

Attachments

• UDC Water annotated 2.jpg
    UDC Water annotated 2.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 135
  • DSC04488.jpg
    DSC04488.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 142

Gary521

Sometimes the water line connecting to the black tank is the flexible variety. Mine was kinked.

Garypowell

Re: ATF: Bighorn - Black Tank Flush

I think others have reported and I think I have seen it in a grey tank that the disk from the hole they cut in the tank can float up and block the hole.

Others might attach a picture but you need to attach a hose to the street outlet and prsuurise the line with a water hose. This will force the obstruction, no matter what it is, back into the tank.

There are variuos sewer attachments that have a hose connection. I carry on with a shot piece of hose with me on all trips.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Re: ATF: Bighorn - Black Tank Flush

Your just going to have to pull down the basement wall and track it down. If it has never worked from day one I think Dan could be on to something, with the anti siphon valve being installed backwards. You can cut the pex line after the valve to see if your getting water there and use a Sharkbite union to put it back together or buy the clamps and tool from Home Depot or Amazon. I carry both with me.

K-Engler

yes! I have the 1/2 bath. it has two black water tanks. I have no issue draining either tank. I also have no issues flushing the 1/2 bath. My issue comes with flushing the front bath.

K-Engler

Dan,
Thank you! Pictures are worth 1000 words. As for the water connections on you first pic, this is exactly what I have (just a few modifications inside the compartment). Do you have a good picture of "What right looks like" when it comes to the correct directionally installed vacuum break?

Thank you for your help!

danemayer

Dan,
Thank you! Pictures are worth 1000 words. As for the water connections on you first pic, this is exactly what I have (just a few modifications inside the compartment). Do you have a good picture of "What right looks like" when it comes to the correct directionally installed vacuum break?

Thank you for your help!

I'm assuming you have a removable access panel in the shower. If not, you might leave this to your dealer.

Here's a drawing that shows how it's supposed to be hooked up. The problem with figuring out how yours is hooked up is that it may or may not be easy to determine which pex line is coming from the inlet in the UDC. If you're lucky, the pex lines in and out of the vacuum breaker will be different colors. If that's the case, you can check the color of the pex line coming out of the UDC fitting and see if that's attached to the bottom of the breaker as shown in the pic. You'll have to take down the rear wall of the pass through basement storage next to the UDC in order to see the pex line going up to the breaker. With color coding, the determination should be easy.

If there's no color coding, you could just try swapping the connectors on the vacuum breaker. But if that doesn't fix the problem, you should put the connectors back in the original position.

If installed as in the diagram, the fittings should easily twist off by hand and go back on hand tight. I'd advise that before you disconnect anything, you tie strings to the pex tubing and vacuum breaker so that nothing can drop out of reach while you're working on it.

If it still doesn't work after swapping the lines, you may need to test the pex line that comes from the UDC by carefully running a trickle of water into the UDC fitting with the fitting disconnected from the input side of the breaker. Try to catch the water than comes out. Don't run any more than a trickle. You don't want to find out that there's something underneath that would be damaged by water - like an electrical component.

If water's coming out of the pex line, put the fitting back on, and then disconnect the fitting from the output side of the breaker to see if water gets through the vacuum breaker.

If water gets through the vacuum breaker but not into the black tank, you'll almost certainly have to let the dealer handle that repair. But that's very unlikely.

Hope this is all clear. Good luck and let us know what you find.
Black Tank Flusher Vacuum Breaker.jpg

K-Engler

I'm assuming you have a removable access panel in the shower. If not, you might leave this to your dealer.

Here's a drawing that shows how it's supposed to be hooked up. The problem with figuring out how yours is hooked up is that it may or may not be easy to determine which pex line is coming from the inlet in the UDC. If you're lucky, the pex lines in and out of the vacuum breaker will be different colors. If that's the case, you can check the color of the pex line coming out of the UDC fitting and see if that's attached to the bottom of the breaker as shown in the pic. You'll have to take down the rear wall of the pass through basement storage next to the UDC in order to see the pex line going up to the breaker. With color coding, the determination should be easy.

If there's no color coding, you could just try swapping the connectors on the vacuum breaker. But if that doesn't fix the problem, you should put the connectors back in the original position.

If installed as in the diagram, the fittings should easily twist off by hand and go back on hand tight. I'd advise that before you disconnect anything, you tie strings to the pex tubing and vacuum breaker so that nothing can drop out of reach while you're working on it.

If it still doesn't work after swapping the lines, you may need to test the pex line that comes from the UDC by carefully running a trickle of water into the UDC fitting with the fitting disconnected from the input side of the breaker. Try to catch the water than comes out. Don't run any more than a trickle. You don't want to find out that there's something underneath that would be damaged by water - like an electrical component.

If water's coming out of the pex line, put the fitting back on, and then disconnect the fitting from the output side of the breaker to see if water gets through the vacuum breaker.

If water gets through the vacuum breaker but not into the black tank, you'll almost certainly have to let the dealer handle that repair. But that's very unlikely.

Hope this is all clear. Good luck and let us know what you find.
View attachment 44272

yes I do have the access panel in the shower. I'll check it out as soon as get back from my current trip. This has been very informative. I love this forum.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 81

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

This is my line on my Landmark I only have 1 tank flush line it goes over to under the shower wall then straight up to the valve up in the wall then comes back down again then over to the tank. I do not have an access panel to my shower Conections. Well maybe I do I have a big picture on that wall maybe it's behind there. LOL now I'll have to look at that.
c40f0ae5e6aead02242835ef644f8852.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

DaveTyler

Hello guys, Jerrod. I had sent a private message to Dan and then read this thread and maybe with your pictures you may know the answer to my question. I am looking for the vent pipe for the front bath on 2015 3875FB Big Horn. I am looking for the correct vent on the roof to this Black Tank. Several have said to just "smell". My nose is old and does not work well. If you have the Ashland, same floorplan as 3875FB? Thanks for all you and Dan do on these forums. Like your filter too. Did you do that yourself? Take care. Dave

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Hello guys, Jerrod. I had sent a private message to Dan and then read this thread and maybe with your pictures you may know the answer to my question. I am looking for the vent pipe for the front bath on 2015 3875FB Big Horn. I am looking for the correct vent on the roof to this Black Tank. Several have said to just "smell". My nose is old and does not work well. If you have the Ashland, same floorplan as 3875FB? Thanks for all you and Dan do on these forums. Like your filter too. Did you do that yourself? Take care. Dave

Sorry Dave
I don't think that is the same floor plan as the Ashland. My Black tank vent is right behind the toilet in that wall and the washer and dryer closet is right there too.
Are you talking about the water filter ? that is a Landmark 365 factory installed item.
2016-Landmark-365-Ashland-80169-Landmark-365-143559288362196-IMG.JPG
floorplan206.jpg

K-Engler

I finally got back from my trip and was able to implement all the ideas/suggestions. Here is what I have done....
1. I found the supply line where my hose hooks up on the back side of the picture above. (No kinks! Yes, flexible hose)
2. I tracked down the check valve. I was able to gain easy access to it by taking down the wall on the opposite side of the bay. When I pulled the valve down and out of the shower wall, I was able to easily take off the check valve.
a. in unhooked the blue line in and turned the water on. the water was flowing goo (no issues to this point)
b. I reconnected the supply line to the valve and disconnected the line out, and once again turned on the water to ensure there was water flow. (Again, no issues to this point)
c. I reconnected the line out (leaving out the little check ball (The tank did not rinse)
d. I replaced the ball and placed the valve back up in the wall as it was and closed everything back up.

From the point of the check valve to where the flexible hose disappears into the underbelly, there are no kinks.

Any recommendations!

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Well unfortunately as you've determined it is somewhere beyond that.
On mine I can see where it goes into the black tank. Any chance you can get that lucky ??

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk