ATF: Bighorn - FB Black tank Flush

PNG68

I have a 2016 Landmark Newport and I am having the same problem as described by K-Engler above. I can hook hose up to the backwash for the 1/2 bath waste tank and it works great. When I switch the hose to the full bath waste tank I get no water going into the tank. I can see the hose but it heads toward the back of the trailer and cannot see where it is connected. I have not looked behind the access panel in the shower as suggested by danemayer. I will check that. This is odd that two different trailers are having the same problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T817A using Tapatalk

K-Engler

The black tank can be hard to get to. Might be time to let your dealer work on it.

Thank you all for the help. I was finally able to track down the issue. There was a kink in the hose right next to the inlet on the Black water tank. Once I cut the hose and re-attached, I had absolutely no issues.

Thanks for guiding this newbie!

PNG68

K-Engler, how did you get to the connection to the waste tank?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T817A using Tapatalk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I was just in the basement of a buddy's Bighorn in stalling the Day/Night motion porch light sensor.
We found a few odd things under there like a heater vent to nowhere, a spare heater register, probably for the vent to nowhere.
Getting to the point the Black water flush line was smashed under the wire harness as it bent over the cross brace. We repositioned it but it still has the kink in the hose.
de24f7db046066e72efdeba6a22bb45a.jpg
9b0baac02696fde3f32300af4e6f4718.jpg

Also found the the water pump was alot smaller then the one in my Landmark.

9f02223cd2ce0554d86553b86a646bfb.jpg

And the water lines....
I thought mine were messy until I seen his. Definitely not as clean of a install job as was done on my Landmark
There are 2 lines hot and cold that ran straight down from above and we're sitting on top of the water pump :/ I bet that was noisy
dbe841fc69202b544be5c9e23c5a3b97.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
The heater vent to nowhere is your underbelly heating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Ya that's the small hose that dumps out .
But there is the tin register in the back of the to stair case on the back side, with no hose attached and it's covered over with wood paneling on the inside. Guess they changed there mind on the assembly line.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Juggy

Hello all, I am a new Bighorn owner and am having the same issue with my black tank flush not working. This post and the pictures are a great resource, we are going out again this coming weekend and I will take my panel off and check for kinks to see if that is the issue. Hopefully ours is just a kink that I can find as well. We have a new 3760EL, have only been out twice so far this season, weather in Colorado has been crazy as usual.

Juggy

Well last night I brought the 5th wheel to the house to get ready for our trip this weekend and decided to investigate the black tank sani-flush issue. I traced the hose to the tank and sure enough there was a kink right at the inlet to the tank. So I made a trip to Home Depot and got the supplies I needed including a pex crimping tool...$62 bucks...wow. The hose didn't have enough slack to prevent another kink, so I extended the pex line and re-positioned the hose and put a piece of 3/4" PVC pipe over the area that kinked to prevent re-kinking. Tested the sani-flush line and could finally hear water going into the tank. I wish I could've removed the piece of hose with the kink, not enough room to get my hand in the space...end of tank was really close to the frame. Quality control missed this!

danemayer

Hi Juggy,

Glad to hear you got it fixed and thanks for sharing. Btw, that pex tool may come in handy in the future. If not on your rig, maybe on someone else's.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Well last night I brought the 5th wheel to the house to get ready for our trip this weekend and decided to investigate the black tank sani-flush issue. I traced the hose to the tank and sure enough there was a kink right at the inlet to the tank. So I made a trip to Home Depot and got the supplies I needed including a pex crimping tool...$62 bucks...wow. The hose didn't have enough slack to prevent another kink, so I extended the pex line and re-positioned the hose and put a piece of 3/4" PVC pipe over the area that kinked to prevent re-kinking. Tested the sani-flush line and could finally hear water going into the tank. I wish I could've removed the piece of hose with the kink, not enough room to get my hand in the space...end of tank was really close to the frame. Quality control missed this!

Seeing how they install the tanks and stuff in the upside down frame then invert the frame, I could see how the tanks shift and could have kinked the pex and it seems at that point the tank and fitting may not be viewable from the top or bottom. By the time the trailer is built this area would be completely hidden. When they test the tanks, they may pass the tests but then a wild ride to the dealer and settling in would possibly cause them to fail after they were tested at the factory.