ATF: Bighorn - Goose neck vs 5th wheel

KarenG

My question is..... bought an F350 dully long bed. It is already equipped with a goose neck. We will be towing a 2015 Bighorn 3577FL. Gross weight is 16,000. Do you think the goose neck with handle it or should we get the 5th. wheel put in the truck? Thanks

danemayer

If you're going to use the gooseneck, the only approved pinbox is the Reese Goosebox. Standard goosenecks put more stress on the front frame than a 5th wheel hitch and could result in damage.

Take a look at the Anderson hitch. Some people call the hitch a goose neck hitch, but I'm not sure one should call the hitch a goose neck hitch. The hitch is designed as an elevated ball hitch. This elevated ball design dose not add any additional stress to the king pin box area. So the stress issue should be a wash with a regular 5th wheel hitch. The Reese Goosebox is approved by the frame manufacture, as the frame manufacture and Reese are within the same Corporation. Who would of thought?

As you travel around the West you see more and more elevated ball hitches. And to the owners I have spoke to, the elevated ball provide a smother truck ride and a one person removal process so you have a clean bed when needed.

KarenG

Thanks Dan for your advise, we always have had a MH until this Bighorn so this is all new to us. Appreciate it.

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds good to me, I will definitely check it out. We have friends that use a goose neck to tow their toy hauler, but have no idea what kind. Will be seeing them in Oct. and will be asking him as well. Thanks again.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
For an excellent fifth wheel hitch, consider the B&W Companion hitch. It attaches to the gooseneck turnover ball location. It's heavy, but very well made. And can be removed for a clean bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whp4262

My question is..... bought an F350 dully long bed. It is already equipped with a goose neck. We will be towing a 2015 Bighorn 3577FL. Gross weight is 16,000. Do you think the goose neck with handle it or should we get the 5th. wheel put in the truck? Thanks

Do you have the two pucks on each side of the bed or just the goose neck?

KarenG

Just the gooseneck

- - - Updated - - -

I am so glad I ask for advice on our decision of which way to go. We have researched the Anderson Hitch and think we are going that direction. Looking for a dealer now. It is so easy and we like how the weight is distributed. Thanks a bunch gojayhawks for your insight