ATF: Bighorn - Hard Freeze Damage

dannyjo83

Hard freeze last night not used to here in Houston, Texas. Fitting from waterline to Ice maker in fridge cracked and broke. Camping World did not have, Lowe's, Home Depot did not have. Any ideas?

jbeletti

Hard freeze last night not used to here in Houston, Texas. Fitting from waterline to Ice maker in fridge cracked and broke. Camping World did not have, Lowe's, Home Depot did not have. Any ideas?

Danny - can you take a picture of the item you need and post it here for other members to review and give advice on? If you want to purchase a replacement item from Heartland - call customer service now at 877-262-8032. Have your VIN ready and they too may want to see a picture of what you need.

dannyjo83

Danny - can you take a picture of the item you need and post it here for other members to review and give advice on? If you want to purchase a replacement item from Heartland - call customer service now at 877-262-8032. Have your VIN ready and they too may want to see a picture of what you need.

Okay!

meagle

I've had numerous problems with my ice maker line since I purchased my RV in 2014. Due to one leak my entire slide floor and living room carpet had to be replaced. I upgraded the tubing and put in a robust shutoff valve. Due to the multiple issues with the lines and how Heartland routed the line on the frame (exposing it to freezing temperatures) I decided not to use the ice maker. I know that this was an extreme measure but after dealing with so much damage I felt the risks outweighed the convenience of the ice maker.

danemayer

Danny,

That's a drain valve on the bottom of the slide. The engineers put it there to make it easy to drain the water from the line in order to winterize. On an early build, we tried it out and found it pretty much ineffective. Using compressed air to winterize is a much better approach. Details are in our owner-written Residential Refrigerator Guide.

All that to say that you can eliminate the drain valve when you replace/repair the water line.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Exactly why we don't have an icemaker in our fridge. We have a stand-alone icemaker we keep in the basement

- - - Updated - - -

You might try Lone Star RV on the North Freeway (I45) or Ron Hoover in LaMarque or Katy. Both are Heartland Dealers and would probably have the part you need.

Last edited by a moderator:

dannyjo83

Exactly why we don't have an icemaker in our fridge. We have a stand-alone icemaker we keep in the basement

- - - Updated - - -

You might try Lone Star RV on the North Freeway (I45) or Ron Hoover in LaMarque or Katy. Both are Heartland Dealers and would probably have the part you need.
Thanks.
Ron Hoover said check with Lowe's. Stopped by Home Depot and Ace Hardware. Bought parts at Ace. Not exactly the right part but temporary fix until I get the right part.

- - - Updated - - -

Danny,

That's a drain valve on the bottom of the slide. The engineers put it there to make it easy to drain the water from the line in order to winterize. On an early build, we tried it out and found it pretty much ineffective. Using compressed air to winterize is a much better approach. Details are in our owner-written Residential Refrigerator Guide.

All that to say that you can eliminate the drain valve when you replace/repair the water line.
Thank You!
Two parts I bought at Ace Hardware does not let me drain but does allow to have shut off valve in place. Question? Should I or would you recommend buying a new Sea Tech Valve?

danemayer

Two parts I bought at Ace Hardware does not let me drain but does allow to have shut off valve in place. Question? Should I or would you recommend buying a new Sea Tech Valve?

There's no point having a shut off valve under the slide. There's already a shut off valve inside. Once shut off you need to evacuate the water from the line to protect from freezing. A shut off valve under the slide wouldn't do anything if you evacuated the water, and would allow freeze damage if you left water in the line and closed the shut off valve underneath.

You could replace the Seat Tech Valve, but I think you'll find it doesn't effectively winterize. That being the case, I think it's a waste of money.

Jim.Allison

We got caught with our britches down in south Texas. We had the freeze, I recorded a low of 24 inside the rig on the 2nd day, which speaks to the insulation in that it did not fall to the ambient while being exposed to sub freezing temps for 2 days. The outside low was about 21. I pressured up the system and so far so good. The volume of water in the water heater and holding tank was too large to freeze but some of my lines did, not all but some. The bath line was clear but the kitchen was not. I will pressure the line again using the pump, then with the hose, while attempting to examine all the fittings. It will be a while before I trust it.

bh3585

We have a 2011 Bighorn 3585 RL with an ice maker in the fridge, but I have yet been able to find a drain for the water line to the ice maker. I have thought about taking the ice maker completely out of the fridge because we just use a portable counter top ice maker. Any thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

danemayer

We have a 2011 Bighorn 3585 RL with an ice maker in the fridge, but I have yet been able to find a drain for the water line to the ice maker. I have thought about taking the ice maker completely out of the fridge because we just use a portable counter top ice maker. Any thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

On a 2011 Bighorn, I'd guess you have a Dometic refrigerator - perhaps an RM1350 4 door. There is no drain line. The cutoff is probably behind the Universal Docking Center (UDC) - rear wall of pass through storage has to be taken down on that side. If you have in-door water, you have to evacuate 1) water from the line from cutoff to back of refrigerator, 2) water from in-door water feed, 3) water from ice maker. You'll need compressed air and the instructions in your refrigerator manual, or our owner-written Winterization Guide.

As with other models that have the refrigerator in a slide out, the water feed line is exposed to outside air and will be damaged when temps go below freezing. Also, if not connected to a power source, the solenoid on the back of the refrigerator may also be damaged when temps drop.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have a 2011 Bighorn 3585 with the Dometic RM1350.
When I winterize I remove the two water lines that go to the solenoid on the back side of the refrigerator. I also remove the line from the shut off valve located behind the UDC.
I then use low pressure air to blow the lines clear.
I cycle the ice maker so that valve opens and allows one of the water lines to drain.
Our ice maker is always on and making ice.

Peace
Dave

bh3585

Thanks all for the info. I figured there had to be a shut off valve or drain somewhere for that. First unit with an ice maker in the fridge so still learning. Again, thanks for the info