ATF: Bighorn - keyless entry

CKC

We have just taken delivery of a new Bighorn 3010re. We were expecting the unit to have keyless entry as the brochure shows and the Heartland web site shows. Our new trailer does not have the keyless entry, did this need to be special ordered, or was it simply missed?

danemayer

Hi CCC,

I think the keyless entry from Southco/Lippert has been discontinued. It was probably available at the time the brochure was printed. If you search the forum, you'll find numerous posts about problems with them which is probably why they're no longer shipping.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Westwind

I have it on my 2012 Bighorn that was manufactured in April 2011 and I have never used it, we always use the key, I read that a majority of the folks were having problems with the batteries having a short life and I felt I didn't need to come home some night and not have the thing open the door. So go back to way I always unlocked a door, use a key.

sengli

When we were at the factory seeing our 2013 being built we were told that they were no longer installing the keyless entry, they simply had too many complaints and warranty claims.... they just didn't work. The outside key pads leaked.

Wharton

That is disappointing. We love our keyless entry. Have had the trailer 3 years without a problem, not even a new battery. We use the keyless entry all the time. We always carry keys with us and have a spare set in the truck also. We also keep spare truck keys in the trailer.

There is another mfg. of keyless entry but I haven't read any reviews on its quality yet.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I agree with Sue tand Tom. Love the Keyless entry. However, I have had to change the battery quite frequently (including just yesterday).

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
It's too bad that there were so many problems with the key pad.
Ours has been flawless for over two years and I think it is a great feature.
Rather than abandoning it, they should redesign, fix the problem and bring it back.
Just my thoughts.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Westwind

Bighorn - entry = KISS

I've decided that I'm embracing the "KISS" method, my new motto is "Love the Key"

Before we took delivery our dealer put a cover over the keypad. It's the same cover that is used for the outside electric outlets. Works well so far.

marvmarcy

Our keypad had issues when the trailer was new, but replacing the keypad and finding good batteries solved the problem. It has worked flawlessly ever since.

We founded and ran a custom A/V business for for ten years and also installed electronics in motorized vehicles and trailers of all sorts. We installed many keyless entry systems with almost no problems. If you want keyless entry for your Bighorn, there are many businesses around the country that can do it. The biggest issue is getting power into the door, but that isn't terribly difficult.

Westwind

When you say you replaced the keypad - was it with a like oem unit or did you go with another type unit? If so what was the brand and model #? What vender did you get it from? What type/brand of battery did you use?

danemayer

The keyless entry on our Rushmore worked flawlessly for over 2 years. Didn't even need a battery. This Fall, it suddenly quit. So I figured it must finally need a battery. Tried several new batteries from different sources. No go. The keypad lights would light up, but no response. Lippert sent me a new keypad, even though it was way out of warranty. No go. Lippert sent me a new controller. Again no charge. The procedure to enroll keypads to the new controller didn't do anything. They sent me a new cable which I plugged in without installing in the door. Still nothing. I figured that we'd just have to start using the key from now on. :(

So I called Southco to see about getting a couple of extra keys. The customer service rep asked why I needed them, so I related the whole story. He volunteered to send me a keypad and controller and to do the enrollment and verify correct operation before sending them. AND he threw in a FOB. The parts arrived today. It's all working again. :eek:

All that to say that Lippert was responsive. But Southco went the extra mile to get this fixed. Good thing. I love that keyless entry.