ATF: Bighorn - Landing gear

jbauer

I have a 2008 big horn model 3760RL and the landing gear will not raise the camper. it will start to lift and then the torque limit trips. I have replaced the gear box and the motor and torque limit. What else could be wrong?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
jbauer, I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say "torque limit". Unless you're talking about the 12 volt breaker. The breaker has been a potential problem in the past. You also have to be very careful not to retract the legs beyond their physical limit. This will also cause the breaker to pop. The breakers are located on the wall above where the battery box is located. There is a row of 5 or 6 breakers. Some are auto reset and some are manual reset with a small button on the right side of the breaker. Depending on the size of breaker in your rig, you may need a larger capacity. This is something you can get through your dealer.

jdfishing

jbauer: I have had problems with the landing gear on my 2007 Bighorn 3055RL since it was new. I've had it repaired twice, including a new motor, gear box and leg. It simply will not lift the weight. I'm not sure what you mean by "torque limit", but mine would start to lift, then slip, especially as it got higher. It is now in the shop getting a second motor installed, so it will have a motor for each leg. I hope this solves the problem because I'm tired of throwing money at it. My extended warranty won't pay for it because it didn't come that way from the factory. Do a search for "landing gear" on the forum and you will find a lot of info. Good luck.

I have a 2008 3600RL Bighorn and have had the same problems as above. Since this seems to be a typical problem as addressed in other threads also, looks as if Heartland would come up with a solution or a recall. this isn't just and inconvenience, it's a safety issue also.

jdfishing

I was finally able to get my Bighorn into the shop to work on the front landing gear. Their recommendation was go with the dual motors, which I did. According to the service tech. they have installed that system on other Heartland products with good results. I will take my first trip in a week and if my experience unhooking in the driveway is any example of how it will perform on the trip, I'm excited. It seems to raise the front end effortlessly.

Gary521

Yes, dual motors will definately help. The root of the problem is that the jack screw inside of the leg needs to be greased and on regular basis. There is a way to do this but it takes a bit of setup work. I have published a post on how to do this. If you want some more help, e-mail me. I know that there is information that the jack screw is permanently lubed, it ain't so. I have talked to the manufacturer, Venture.