ATF: Bighorn - "Mystery light" just inside the door

pegmikef

It seems strange that the same year Big Horns have suce a disparity in the way that light is wired. Some have manual and door switches and others only have door switches. Go figure.

SeattleLion

It seems strange that the same year Big Horns have suce a disparity in the way that light is wired. Some have manual and door switches and others only have door switches. Go figure.

Dave from customer service replied this morning. He sent the schematic. The diagram shows a manual switch. However, my coach and possibly others of similar vintage (mine was made in late January 2014) no longer have the manual switch. According to customer service, there is a plunger switch in the door that closes when the door is opened and the plunger extends. That is wired to a relay located under the stairs (accessible via the basement). The welcome home light can be disabled by disconnecting the relay. While I understand that it's hard to find locations for all the switches, it seems to me that every automatic function should have a manual switch. This includes the light under the entry steps. Nothing should only be automatic or controlled via the remote. This is just an issue waiting to happen. It could be cost saving to remove these switches, but whatever the reason, they should be put back. The owner should have ultimate control over all functions of the coach without needing a remote control or removal of the basement wall.

I can't think of any device that uses remotes or automatic switches that doesn't also have a manual control. Even DVR's and TV's which expect everything to be remotely controlled, has a way to let you do all functions without the remote. I suggest that there should be manual switches for the welcome home light and the light under the entry steps.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Another that comes to mind is the light under the entry steps that has no switch and can only be operated by the remote.

I can't think of any device that uses remotes or automatic switches that doesn't also have a manual control.

Rod Ditrich