ATF: Bighorn - "Mystery light" just inside the door

SeattleLion

There is a light in the ceiling just inside the trailer door. I always assumed it was part of the lighting controlled by the hallway switch next to the stairs. I never paid much attention until after we brought the 3160 home, the next day I noticed the light was on. I couldn't find a way to switch it off. Finally this weekend we took out the remote. We used the "Light" control on it. It turned on the light under the steps. Then, realizing that wasn't what we wanted, we turned it off. A short time later the light in the ceiling by the door went off.

Now if this is controlled on a time delay from the under-steps light, why would it be on if we never turned that light on? What is this all about? How do we control it. It would have been really annoying if it stayed on for days like it did this past week.

Please help.

pegmikef

On my BH3010RE the light in the ceiling inside the door is controlled when the door is opened. It comes on and stays on until a few seconds after the door is closed. If the door remains open for a lengthy period, then the light times out. On my control panel it is controled by the switch "Entry Light." The under step light on mine has no affect on the entry light and can only be controlled by the remote.

SeattleLion

I don't have an entry light switch and after we discovered the light on, hours later (the door was locked and we were in the house), we could see the light was still on through the glass in the door.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
The door switch might have failed. On our Bighorn 3585rl we do have a switch for the entry door light with all the other light switches inside of the entry closet

Rod Ditrich

SeattleLion

I checked. We don't have a switch for that in our coach. I verified that all switches were off and this light stayed on. Very odd. The fact that it mysteriously turned off the same way it came on means there is either additional functionality or we are haunted.

jayc

Legendary Member
It sounds like it's the "welcome back" light. It doesn't have a switch and comes on when the door opens and stays on for a few seconds after it closes.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
It may need to be turned off by the switch on the light. Then see if it comes on when you open the door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Not sure about the Bighorn, but our Landmark has a switch marked "entry light", which turns the light on over the door, but it also works when the door is opened...and then goes out after a few seconds, unless the switch is on...

SeattleLion

Not sure about the Bighorn, but our Landmark has a switch marked "entry light", which turns the light on over the door, but it also works when the door is opened...and then goes out after a few seconds, unless the switch is on...

I expected to find that, but alas there is no switch. It seems pretty odd to me. I hope the factory responds to this thread.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Our Bighorn is also marked "Entry Light". With the light switch off, the light only comes on when the door is open and shuts off about 10 seconds after the door closes. With the switch on, the light stays on indefinitely. This might be one that you have to call Heartland and talk to one of the engineers and ask them for help. I am sure it is something simple that we are just missing or overlooking.

Rod Ditrich

SeattleLion

Our Bighorn is also marked "Entry Light". With the light switch off, the light only comes on when the door is open and shuts off about 10 seconds after the door closes. With the switch on, the light stays on indefinitely. This might be one that you have to call Heartland and talk to one of the engineers and ask them for help. I am sure it is something simple that we are just missing or overlooking.

Rod Ditrich

I may have to call. I checked carefully. That light stayed on even though every single switch in the control panel as well as the other areas of the coach were off. If there is an entry light switch, it must be somewhere we haven't noticed. My thought is that maybe it is linked to that yellow light under the steps controlled by the remote. There is only one "Light" touch area on the remote and that definitely turns the yellow light on and off.

jimtoo

I think,, but don't know for sure, but some of the newer units have a magnetic switch inside the hinge side of the door frame. You might check your door along the hinge side with something to try and find the magnet in the door. Or run a good strong magnet along the door opening to see if it will turn the light on or off. This switch is then linked to a timer.

Jim M

SeattleLion

I think,, but don't know for sure, but some of the newer units have a magnetic switch inside the hinge side of the door frame. You might check your door along the hinge side with something to try and find the magnet in the door. Or run a good strong magnet along the door opening to see if it will turn the light on or off. This switch is then linked to a timer.

Jim M

Interesting! After I get home today I will investigate. It seems odd to me that I don't have a manual way to override this function.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
We have the same light on our BH. I figured there is a hidden switch in the frame as jimtoo stated. Nice light for coming and going in the dark without fumbling for an other switch. Guessing yours is faulty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SeattleLion

I spoke with customer service. It is the "welcome home" light and has no manual switch. It is supposed to be controlled by a switch in the door and come on briefly after it is opened. The fact that it stayed on is a defect and the dealer will need to correct it. Since the dealer is far away, they are trying to find out where it is wired in case I have to disconnect it.