ATF: Bighorn - Mystery rusty pipe below belly pan

SeattleLion

We were inspecting the frame for rust. We noted it during our walk through. Heartland refused to authorize the dealer to fix it. It would have cost less than $30 to do it. So, finally we are doing it ourselves. Bad public relations, Heartland.

During our crawling around we saw what appears to be an unprotected iron pipe running from the front toward the back with a T-connector in the middle. The pipe is on the street side. What is this pipe for? The only use I know for an iron pipe is gas. Is this for propane? Why is it allowed to rust? I guess we can paint it with rust resistant paint, but for such an expensive trailer, this makes no sense. Why is it below the belly pan?

Speaking of rust, the axles are both rusty as well. Should I paint them too?

dbbls59

The iron pipe is a gas line. They all rust but I've never had one rust through. I have never had an axle rust through either. You can paint them if you want too.

kkamshop

My guess they run the pipe outside the frame to eliminate gas buildup in the underbelly if there ever was a leak.

Seren

I got a brand new Grand Canyon in March and the gas line already was half rusted. I am sure that other than asthetics it is not an issue however, how much would it cost Heartland to put a coat of paint on it? At the very least it would cut down on some of the calls to customer service.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

SeattleLion

I got a brand new Grand Canyon in March and the gas line already was half rusted. I am sure that other than asthetics it is not an issue however, how much would it cost Heartland to put a coat of paint on it? At the very least it would cut down on some of the calls to customer service.

i agree. In my former life I did some plumbing. Every iron pipe I bought was painted by the manufacturer. This is the first unpainted iron pipe I have seen.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
My 2011 was built and delivered in Aug. no rust on mine. could the March sale date (probably delivered during winter over salted roads) have contributed to the rust?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Seren

My 2011 was built and delivered in Aug. no rust on mine. could the March sale date (probably delivered during winter over salted roads) have contributed to the rust?

It was delivered at the beginning of March, but was transported from Indiana to Knoxville, so it could have picked up some salt, especially after this winter. Still, a coat of paint would have taken care of any salt, at least for a while.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Gloss black Rustoleum is a very inexpensive and long term fix. I have used it to touch up around my chassis and components. It is a very durable finish. All it takes is $5 and about 15 minutes of your time. Problem solved. Trace

Last edited:

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
It was delivered at the beginning of March, but was transported from Indiana to Knoxville, so it could have picked up some salt, especially after this winter. Still, a coat of paint would have taken care of any salt, at least for a while.

Frames are painted when they leave Lippert, but I've seen many that had a large amount of rust after sitting on the dealers lot, because the dealers fail to wash the RVs when they come in.

Seren

Frames are painted when they leave Lippert, but I've seen many that had a large amount of rust after sitting on the dealers lot, because the dealers fail to wash the RVs when they come in.

Frames yes! Thank you Lippert, but gas pipe not painted. Don't get me wrong, we love our Grand Canyon and would get another Landmark.

Gaffer

I did not order (both times) until I was sure the roads were salt free. Most rigs I looked at on dealer lots that were built and shipped during the salt season had rust on them by the time they got to the west coast.

SeattleLion

I will paint the pipe. I just never bought black iron pipe that wasn't painted by the pipe manufacturer. However, I see it available online unpainted. So I can see how Heartland could have sourced it that way. I just wonder why it wasn't painted at the factory. Another interesting question. However, I am very happy that Heartland chose to use iron pipe instead of plastic for the propane. I am even happier they kept it under the belly pan. That pretty much rules out that source of leakage allowing gas into the interior.

porthole

Retired
I keep a can of Rustoleum's Rust Reformer in the trailer. Works fine especially since quality of finish is not important.

priorguy

It's probably a code issue to keep the pipe under the trailer and not in the under belly. All 4 of mine have been that way. I've never seen pre painted black iron pipe. In my area each pipe system (gas/glycol/sprinkler etc.) has different colours that are sometimes customer dependant and painted after installations. National Defence and other government agencies have their own specs. I use Tremclad semigloss black myself but and shaker can of rust paint will work for pipes and frames.

SeattleLion

Yesterday I bought a few cans of Rustoleum Rust Reformer. I sprayed all the rust I could find this afternoon when I got home from work. I think I got it all. It took me 20 minutes. Hear that Heartland?

Seren

Yesterday I bought a few cans of Rustoleum Rust Reformer. I sprayed all the rust I could find this afternoon when I got home from work. I think I got it all. It took me 20 minutes. Hear that Heartland?

Hopefully since the NSA keeps track of all social media, Heartlnd has access to it, read it, and will take action on this thread.