ATF: Bighorn - Power Reel Fuses

twolanesoffreedom

TwoLanesOfFreedom
Our 2015 Bighorn 3160EL can no longer retract the power cord with the electric power reel. I checked the power to the switch and get nothing. I don't see a fuse in the 12V cabinet for the reel. Is there another place to check? Thanks for the help!!

Mrsfish

Our 2015 Bighorn 3160EL can no longer retract the power chord with the electric power reel. I checked the power to the switch and get nothing. I don't see a fuse in the 12V cabinet for the reel. Is there another place to check? Thanks for the help!!

mtpockets, this was always your fear... Anxious to hear how it is fixed

danemayer

Power could come off the 12V DC mini circuit breakers near the battery. There'll be a row of them covered by a red rubber boot. The battery cutoff switch needs to be ON.

Also, there's a manual reset breaker on that buss bar that if tripped will interrupt power from the Power Converter that's needed to keep the battery charged.

mlpeloquin

Check the wiring to the right side of the reel. With the plastic door open I can just see the 12V wires. They have the twist end connectors. You might have to open up the coroplast to get to them. One wire may have come loose. At the same time you can check to see if there is 12V. If so, it could be the switch or the motor.

twolanesoffreedom

TwoLanesOfFreedom
Thank you for the diagram. I do get 12v current through the fuse bar and to the switch. I tried bypassing the switch to see if that was the culprit and the motor still didn't turn. There doesn't look like any real easy way to access and replace it on our 3160EL. Any suggestions?

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Did you happen to try holding in the button and turning the reel in or pulling it out by hand to maybe get it going again ? Or hit it with a hammer THAT ALWAYS WORKS..... LOL

Mrsfish

Terry (mtpockets) is not posting on this, but when we first met him and drooled over his power cord reel, he commented that he loved it but he was very concerned about the day it quit working...and what if that day was when it was extended? What next? So...maybe I'm not as envious anymore

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Not pretty, but if you need to move the trailer, you can wrap the cord around a couple of ladder rungs. Tie the end in place with a Velcro strap to keep it from bouncing loose. At least that will enable you to travel until you can find the problem and get a permanent fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Terry (mtpockets) is not posting on this, but when we first met him and drooled over his power cord reel, he commented that he loved it but he was very concerned about the day it quit working...and what if that day was when it was extended? What next? So...maybe I'm not as envious anymore
Probably not much different than if the power moonroof of your Lariot died when it was open.

Peace
Dave

twolanesoffreedom

TwoLanesOfFreedom
Did you happen to try holding in the button and turning the reel in or pulling it out by hand to maybe get it going again ? Or hit it with a hammer THAT ALWAYS WORKS..... LOL

You are on to something. I did pull it all the way out and then held the button and turned the reel and it cranked. :) It doesn't sound right and I had to keep turning the reel to pull it all in. It took two of us to make it finish. I'm thinking the motor is on the way out. So at this point my gut says instead of replacing the motor ($500+), perhaps I should just pull it out and go back to lugging it around by hand.

mlpeloquin

You are on to something. I did pull it all the way out and then held the button and turned the reel and it cranked. :) It doesn't sound right and I had to keep turning the reel to pull it all in. It took two of us to make it finish. I'm thinking the motor is on the way out. So at this point my gut says instead of replacing the motor ($500+), perhaps I should just pull it out and go back to lugging it around by hand.

Well that works great until a cold morning packing up reminds you why you wanted a power reel.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Fix it !!!!!
Call the manufacturer of the reel they will probably send you the parts.
I assume it's out of warranty ?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

twolanesoffreedom

TwoLanesOfFreedom
Fix it !!!!!
Call the manufacturer of the reel they will probably send you the parts.
I assume it's out of warranty ?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Yes, the original warranty is out, though our extended my cover it. I will call the manufacture (I think it is a Shoreline product) and get their suggestions too.