ATF: Bighorn - Propane lines

lizzymit

We have a 2011 Heartland Bighorn 3610RE and travel full time.

A service technician told me I should have my propane lines purged every few years to get rid of the "gunk".

What are the recommendations from purging the lines and doing a pressure test. Also how often should I replace the regulator and propane lines.

Thanks

danemayer

Hi lizzymit,

I've had a buildup of oil in the hose coming out of the dual regulator. The hose takes a u-shaped bend before connecting to the iron pipe and oil accumulated there, reducing propane flow just enough to cause intermittent problems.

I've also had low flow from the doorside single regulator and pigtail twice over the past 6 years.

I'm not aware of any way to purge the single regulator and its pigtail. I had to replace them. The oil buildup in the hose was drained by disconnecting it from the iron pipe and from the regulator and then blowing some air through the hose.

But I don't think this routinely happens. We've taken extended trips to Breckenridge, CO for the past 6 winters. In the extreme cold weather, we're hooked up to large propane tanks and go through many times more propane than most people would ever use. We probably use the equivalent of two 40# tanks per week, for a minimum of 6 weeks each winter.

If you're heating your BH in Montana during the winter, you may have an experience similar to ours. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
We have had our rig over five years and full-timed for three. Never had any problem with plugged propane lines. Trace

Last edited:

hoefler

Never have purged any propane line on my sticks and bricks or RV. I have been on propane for over 25 years.

wdk450

I did some internet research on "oil contamination in propane" and found this article from the Propane Council.org.
http://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/REP_11352 Good Practices Care and Custody of Propane.pdf

The document states that oil should NOT be present in delivered propane, and is most likely due to contamination in the supply route from the refinery to your propane cylinder. Most interesting was the fact given that in some locales propane travels down the same multi-use oil pipelines as crude oil, gasoline, and diesel, only separated from the other oil products by a plastic wiper seal "pig". There is an photo of one of these pipeline pigs in the document. Oil contaminated rail cars, large trucks, barges, etc. in the delivery chain are other culprits. The bulk propane is SUPPOSED to be tested at every point BEFORE being added to stationary bulk storage tanks.

So, oil in propane is not normal, and should be a short-term isolated incident by the propane supplier. I don't know if RVers complaints about this are going to get much of a response from the bulk propane suppliers, but the bulk users should get their attention with complaints. If you have the contamination, you should probably talk to a professional about system flushing. If you use just 1 propane supplier, talk to them about the problem and its cost to you (maybe show them a copy of the linked document). Ask them about their propane quality testing standards.

B

BouseBill

Had to purge the oil from our propane line just a couple months ago. During our cold snap here in South Central Arizona last Dec. the kitchen stove and furnace would quit working after sunset, burrrrrr, start up again when the temps warmed up mid morning. Could not figure out the problem so called the mobile repair man. He told me what to check for, and I being lazy cuss I am, ask him to come out anyway. Sure enough oil in the rubber loop down at the pipe connection. The oil would get cold and thicken up enough to stop the gas from flowing, The tech connected his gauge to the stove and you could see the needle burp as the gas would force its way passed the oil.
contamination in the propane from someone :( (Our rig is a 2015 BigHorn)