ATF: Bighorn - repair

pomo

I have a 2013 Bighorn 3585RL and have water leak in the line that comes from under the sinnk and go up into the Refrigerator some where. How and where does the water go from the sink to the refrigerator?

jimtoo

Hi pomo,

Welcome to the posting side of the Heartland Owners Forum. I hope you have been lurking in the background and found any info you may have needed.

The line under the sink going to the fridge is normally for the ice maker in the fridge if it is 1/4" plastic. The may be a small shut off valve where it tee's off the supply line under the sink.

Jim M

danemayer

I notice that in late Fall, when temps drop, there's an uptick in leaking refrigerator water feed lines, and then in the Spring, when units are de-winterized, there's another uptick in leaking water feed lines.

An easy to overlook part of the winterization process is to evacuate water from the refrigerator's ice maker water supply line. Specific steps must be taken that are in addition to routine use of RV antifreeze or compressed air. If by chance this was overlooked when your unit was winterized, the poly line will certainly freeze and crack. The next time you use your water system, you'll have a leak.

If you have a residential refrigerator, consult our owner-written Residential Refrigerator Guide. If you have a traditional gas absorption RV refrigerator, the owner's manual should cover winterization procedures for the refrigerator, but may not provide guidance on the water line. Reading the Residential Refrigerator Guide may help you take the appropriate steps to protect the water line.

Piperflyer

I notice that in late Fall, when temps drop, there's an uptick in leaking refrigerator water feed lines, and then in the Spring, when units are de-winterized, there's another uptick in leaking water feed lines.

An easy to overlook part of the winterization process is to evacuate water from the refrigerator's ice maker water supply line. Specific steps must be taken that are in addition to routine use of RV antifreeze or compressed air. If by chance this was overlooked when your unit was winterized, the poly line will certainly freeze and crack. The next time you use your water system, you'll have a leak.

If you have a residential refrigerator, consult our owner-written Residential Refrigerator Guide. If you have a traditional gas absorption RV refrigerator, the owner's manual should cover winterization procedures for the refrigerator, but may not provide guidance on the water line. Reading the Residential Refrigerator Guide may help you take the appropriate steps to protect the water line.

My RV doesn't go where the water lines need to be winterized. Heartland needs to use a better quality material when it comes to refrigerator water lines. They can't take the constant in/out of the refrigerator slide and end up leaking. I have had this happen to me twice now on a 6 month old RV. Steel braided lines sure would help. You get what you pay for.

mlpeloquin

From the cheapest stick and brick to multi million dollar homes the cheep 1/4" plastic lines are used. So it just isn't a Heartland thing.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Had a kitten decide to teethe on that cheap plastic line, in a house long long ago. Same result!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Westwind

Fixed ours 4 years ago - Disconnected it. No winterizing, No leaks, and no Problems! I never removed the ice maker from our Dometic gas/elec. refrigerator so it does take up room we could use. We do use ice cube trays, just add water, no winterizing, no leaks, and no problems (LOL). If I want an ice maker I think I would get a portable one which would be a lot easier to maintain. I know the new domestic refrigerators even have water disp built into the doors and to me they are just a problem waiting to happen.