ATF: Bighorn - Roof location of Wineguard cabling

gstringer

Just took receipt of BH 3010re unit has front ducted A/C.
Install schematic for satellite indicate cabling coiled at F/R speakers in front Brm.
Please indicate better information on cables as I don't want to have the installer randomly putting holes in my roof. The unit has no ceiling mounted speakers. Your assistance is appreciated

Gary Stringer

danemayer

Hi gstringer,

If you don't get a response from the factory by end of day Monday, call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready.

Mrsfish

Gary- do you mean ceiling mounted speakers in the bedroom? Cause our 3010re has surround sound in the entertainment area of the main room. If so- I'd also like to know how to add speakers to the bedroom area.

Theresau

The satellite roof install cabling for our BC was found in a "dummy" (flat) ceiling outlet in the bedroom (wondered what that was...).

My understanding is that the "Winegard" specific wire for the BH is in the closet. BC was not prepped for Winegard just satellite itself so installer had to install that wire as well (no big deal - he installed through the coax outlet in the ceiling over the bedroom dresser.

Do you have the left most closet with drawers that has coax cabling on the top of the closet dresser? I thought the installer told me that was where the Winegard wiring is. He looked for it there and when he didn't find it he assumed we weren't prepped for Winegard specific just satellite.

Install schematic for satellite indicate cabling coiled at F/R speakers in front Brm.
Please indicate better information on cables as I don't want to have the installer randomly putting holes in my roof. The unit has no ceiling mounted speakers. Your assistance is appreciated

Gary Stringer

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
The satellite roof install cabling for our BC was found in a "dummy" (flat) ceiling outlet in the bedroom (wondered what that was...).

My understanding is that the "Winegard" specific wire for the BH is in the closet. BC was not prepped for Winegard just satellite itself so installer had to install that wire as well (no big deal - he installed through the coax outlet in the ceiling over the bedroom dresser.

Do you have the left most closet with drawers that has coax cabling on the top of the closet dresser? I thought the installer told me that was where the Winegard wiring is. He looked for it there and when he didn't find it he assumed we weren't prepped for Winegard specific just satellite.

Exactly as Mrs T says look under the blank outlet cover on ceiling. That is where it ties in. The controller for the winegard was placed in our front closet and now that I have been up on roof I am not to pleased with the install camping world did with the wires atleast. Funny thing this CW sells the heartland line but sat installer had not done one on a heartland and did not believe me when I told him how easy it should be. Afterwards he came back to me and said that was easiest one he has done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

Gary- do you mean ceiling mounted speakers in the bedroom? Cause our 3010re has surround sound in the entertainment area of the main room. If so- I'd also like to know how to add speakers to the bedroom area.
Hi Mrsfish,

If your BH did not come with bedroom ceiling speakers, it's very likely that it also did not come with wiring for them. You'd have to run speaker wire from the bedroom to the living room entertainment center and tie into the surround sound speaker connections. Not easy. Then you'd have to mount speakers in the ceiling and fish the wires to them - not sure how. It'd be a lot easier to use something like this. No wiring and you can use it outside as well as in the bedroom.

Might be simpler to get a transmitter/receiver.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired

Mrsfish how old is your 3010re? My '14 3450ts has speakers in bedroom and outside as well as living area. They are all tied to the genesis sound system.

Theresau

Yes we're happy with where the installer installed the Winegard cable and box. He originally put it on the dresser but Joe put a hole in the side of the bedroom linen closet and it's now in that closet on the top shelf. (However, the BH if it's a new model already has the Winegard cable built into the coach - this needs to be found as well.)

We were lucky with the install at the rally - It was Elkhart Satellite who did this. It was very apparent he knew what he was doing - looked for the dummy outlet right off and then for the Winegard cable in the bedroom closet and then decided that the best place was to come in through the coax outlet over the dresser.

BC also has bedroom and outside speakers but satellite cables were not in the bedroom speakers.

Exactly as Mrs T says look under the blank outlet cover on ceiling. That is where it ties in. The controller for the winegard was placed in our front closet and now that I have been up on roof I am not to pleased with the install camping world did with the wires atleast. Funny thing this CW sells the heartland line but sat installer had not done one on a heartland and did not believe me when I told him how easy it should be. Afterwards he came back to me and said that was easiest one he has done.

Mrsfish

Our 3010re is a 2014. Has surround system and outdoor entertainment center but no speakers in the bedroom. Too bad, would have been nice. We had come to the same conclusion that hard wiring would be too much and if we REALLY wanted sound in the bedroom we could use either a wireless system or a portable system for a iPod. Couldn't tell by the OP if he was questioning speakers or satelite. Oh well.

Theresau

Looking at the latest pics on HL's website, it looks like the BH's no longer have bedroom speakers (our 2010 BH did) but do have exterior speakers and the radio in basement. BC's do.....

Is there a dummy outlet in the ceiling of the bedroom?

Theresau

That's where you satellite cables are (for installing a satellite on the roof). You should also have some prepping I believe in the bedroom closet area for the Winegard if you decide to install that type of satellite on your roof.

Yes there is a dummy plate

bwc1950

I was looking at the satellite roof pre-wire diagram (manuals section) for the Big Horn and Landmark.....if the drawing is correct, I see that the roof satellite Winegard DATA (and I'm assuming power up supply to make the dish rise and point) cable is routed to the entertainment center in the living room and the coax cables are routed to the bedroom closet. Is this correct for the Big Country? Is the roof satellite power button (lift, point & stow) located in the entertainment center of the living cabinet?

Theresau

The data cable is not the power cable. It's my understanding that the "prepping" is that data cord which goes in the back of the power box which is plugged into an outlet. The power box would be installed wherever that data cord is.

The BC is not prepped with this. For our BC our installer had to run this from the roof/Traveler instead (not at all a big deal) - he drilled through the roof so that it comes through next to the coax above the dresser.

The BC is prepped with the satellite coax cables and they are in the ceiling in the bedroom.

Per MrsFish's (OP) response her BH has the dummy outlet in the same place in her new BH.

(Our installer told me that the BH and Landmark have a third wire (other end of the data cable I assume) there for the Traveler for its connection on the roof.)

Both the BC and BH have coax cables in the bedroom closet. These are for the bedroom TV. You move the single coax cable to either antenna/cable or to satellite - this will then feed the bedroom TV coax above the dresser area.

Hope this helps.

gstringer

Gary Stringer

Thanks to all who replied; A special thanks to JD adams from Heartland for the roof location diagram! we have it installed and working after much todo. The installer said the SWM3 Traveler would not work as pre-wired from the factory??? I have my doubts but it works with the addition of one wire to front closet and separate splitters behind the coax plates in the ODC.