ATF: Bighorn - Roof Strength

Bigdrive

Hello,

I have just bought a 2009 Bighorn 3055. I want to go up and walk on the roof, is it ssfe enough for me. I weight 260lbs

jimtoo

Hi Bigdrive,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I just traded off my 08, 3055 Bighorn and I check in at about 225. I never had a problem with it, but would not walk close to the edge. Middle area and I think you would be fine. I have seen 2 guys on a roof installing an A/C at the same time.

Also please think of joining the Heartland Owners Club and attending rallies and meeting some of the best folks in the world.

Enjoy the forum and your Bighorn.

Jim M

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
You should not have any problem. The rear ladder is rated for 300 lbs I think so be careful there.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I would avoid walking on the seams between the panels, that cross under the rubber membrane from side to side. You can see them if you look as you walk.
I have heard a little crunch at those seams every now and then and I'm at 165lbs. Trace

MTPockets

One of the main points on the factory tour was their roof strength. They illustrated this with a picture of a car parked on a roof, and the tour guide walked on a roof and jumped up and down.... After the tour, we ordered our current 3055RL and I've walked around up top a number of times (235 lbs.) ......... The ladder? That's another issue. My ladder sagged a lot and several of those plastic end pieces broke. Heartland, nor Atwood has ever acknowledged any problems even though the ladder is rated at 300 lbs. The sag was so bad, I finally fixed it by adding four more of the stanchions and larger screws to hold it to the rear. You'll find more on this and other forums about the ladder sag - just be careful on it. The roof though is fine.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Okay, fair warning.
I had to have my whole roof replaced last fall after I hit a tree and I have seen what is under there. Yes, it will hold you, but be careful at the seams is all I can say. Trace

happyappy

One of the main points on the factory tour was their roof strength. They illustrated this with a picture of a car parked on a roof, and the tour guide walked on a roof and jumped up and down.... .

Now that's something I'd like to see! Would make me feel much better about getting my fat @$& up on the roof to do some work. :)

Drivr

I have the same 5th wheel and I walk on mine all the time, just avoid the seams. I use a regular extension ladder to get on the roof though. I weigh more than the back ladder is rated for.

greatheron

MD Chapter Member
While we were at the Hershey RV Show, when searching out our new rig (we ended up purchasing a 3610RE) the designer, (is his name Ron?) told us that NASCAR fans hold kegger parties on the roof for the better view. So, with his endorsement, we have not had qualms about getting on the roof. We usually get up there to wash & treat the roof two or three times a year.