Should I remove AC for roof cover

d2freak82

We just bought a 2009 bighorn 3670RL I'm planning to cover the roof with paintable roof sealant.
Should I completely remove the AC unit to put this down? Or paint around it? Initially I was leaning towards painting around it - but I'm not certain if I should pull up and put new seal and such?
Could be an argument made for either side - so I ask advise on this so we know. Any tips on this would be great!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Good question. I think I would be inclined to remove the AC, seal the area and change out the rubber gasket.
Be sure to follow the manufacturers recommendation when compressing the gasket upon reinstalling the AC. I think it's 50% compression.

Peace
Dave

wdk450

Mine was done by RV professionals without removing the AC unit. I think with all the painting stuff going on, you don't need another complication of removing the heavy AC top unit at the same time.
Do the AC gasket some other time.

jnbhobe

Pull it off, only 4 bolts and a couple of plugs. I pull mine off every year so my rig will fit thru the storage building door. And by the way I have never replaced the seal in 15 years.

d2freak82

what I'm leaning towards at this moment is doing the roof... and then perhaps go back and do under the AC, it's cold currently so I'm counting on small windows of 50 degrees to get this done. Instructions say it needs to be above 40. I haven't noticed any leaks, although the vents and such look like factory calk and it looks like it may be cracked....
I feel like I need to get it on now so I don't have to worry about it but maybe washing the roof and sealing those should be a higher priority? I can post a pic of it. I haven't found any soft spots....

d2freak82

The reason I wanted to coat the roof is the black spots I saw - I thought it was the black underside, or the top white stuff wearing off. From what I'm seeing this may be more of a clean the algae or whatever it is off. Which might mean I can clean this and delay the coating for warmer weather.

Dahillbilly

The reason I wanted to coat the roof is the black spots I saw - I thought it was the black underside, or the top white stuff wearing off. From what I'm seeing this may be more of a clean the algae or whatever it is off. Which might mean I can clean this and delay the coating for warmer weather.
mine has/had dark black spots & it just needed a good old cleaning & scrubbing majority of them disappeared after that

d2freak82

I tried the scrubbing and power washing, no luck

But we coated the roof with at least first coat today, was hoping it would be dry enough to a second but no such luck, I’ll have to finish it tomorrow.
I haven’t pulled ACs yet but I plan to at some point and coat under them.

IMG_1403.jpeg
And first coat
IMG_1409.jpeg