ATF: Bighorn - Swivel trailer

CKC

I would like to add a double hitch swivel trailer to our 2013, 3010re. It looks like with the trailer and the bike (HD Ultra Classic) approx 850lbs and trailer approx 500 Lbs, that the double hitch would have approx 650 lbs ( 325 lbs per side) on the rear frame of the trailer.

Question
Does Heartland see this as a big problem?

Has anyone with a 3010re added a swivel wheel trailer to there trailer.

stevenssr

The 3010RE has a GVWR of 14000 lbs and an empty weight of 11915 lbs. By the time you load your trailer with the necessities of life, I'm betting you don't have enough extra capacity for this. My BC 3070 essentially has the same frame as yours and I wouldn't try it. I'm probably going to install a hitch when the frame warranty runs out, but more for bicycles and lighter cargo. One of the drawbacks of my unit and yours is that we don't have a lot of extra capacity when it comes to weight. I can't answer for Heartland, but I would think they wouldn't recommend this. But ultimately its your trailer, and once the warranty runs out (your risk). Good luck!

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
I have every intention of adding an Idaho Tote swivel trailer (for my GL1800 Gold Wing) to the back of my Landmark as soon as the frame warranty runs out. I know of 3 people who have added trailers behind their rigs to pull golf carts. I'm more concerned about the State Police than I am about the weight on the frame (Virginia doesn't allow double towing, except by "professionals").

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
I have every intention of adding an Idaho Tote swivel trailer (for my GL1800 Gold Wing) to the back of my Landmark as soon as the frame warranty runs out. I know of 3 people who have added trailers behind their rigs to pull golf carts. I'm more concerned about the State Police than I am about the weight on the frame (Virginia doesn't allow double towing, except by "professionals").

If you get a CDL then you are a professional. You should be covered but again check to be sure.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

I look at it this way. If the swivel wheel trailer is attached to the Landmark with a dual receiver hitch then it actually becomes part of the Landmark and not a trailer, therefore you are not double towing. You merely have an extended platform behind the Landmark to put the Bike on.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
I look at it this way. If the swivel wheel trailer is attached to the Landmark with a dual receiver hitch then it actually becomes part of the Landmark and not a trailer, therefore you are not double towing. You merely have an extended platform behind the Landmark to put the Bike on.

You might want to confirm that with DPS. Even with two receiver hitches you are still trailering that platform. It is not a permanent fixture and it has it's own wheels.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
I would like to see HL build a purpose built 5th wheel for pulling doubles. A Gateway or BH comfort trailer, 30 to 35ft capable of a 5000lb load/trailer hitched to it.