ATF: Bighorn - Too much PSI on bay doors hinges

sengli

We have 2013 BH3260RS, and I have noticed that the OEM high pressure shocks installed on the cargo bay doors to hold them up and open..... from the factory put soo much pre-load on the door hinges, when the doors are closed. If you stand on one side of the coach and look thru the storage bay, at the closed door opposite you, I can see day light all the way across the bottom of the opposite door. Basically this shocks pressure is lifting the entire door up when the cargo door is closed. So I removed the gas shocks and now the door seals, enough and the daylight no longer passes thru the gap. Guess I will be going to the magnetic latches to hold up the cargo doors.
Pointed this issue out during our PDI, and the service manger didn't have an answer on what they might do to remedy it. My thought is while driving down the road, that this open gap would have caused a leak into the basement.

Last edited:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Maybe you could check with Heartland for a shock with lesser psi or lift capabilities.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
they do make different psi gas shocks and you may have possibly had shocks with to high psi installed. I had a too low psi shock originally installed on the bed and it wouldn't stay up. Call HL customer service and have your vin handy to check it out.

sengli

The factory did contact me to send them photos of the current shocks. Havent heard back from them yet, on the photos. Most likely I will just go with the magnetic cargo bay latches, rather tham use the gas shocks. They will eventually fail anyway. And they do really put alot of load on the hinges anyway.