ATF: Bighorn - Vent Covers

A7Echo

I want to place vent covers on my 2015 3160EL Bighorn so I can leave the vents open in the rain and as we go down the road. I have a thermostat controlled vent in the rear and a manual open in the bathroom. I have been looking at the Maxxair units but looking at the configuration that I have I don't think they will work. Do you folks know of vent covers that will work?

pegmikef

The maxair worked on the one in the bathroom, but not the powered vent in the kitchen on my BH.

osims

bsims
Our dealer installed Maxx-air on our bathroom vent, I haven't gone up there to see how they attached it but it's been on for a couple of months with no problem

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
MaxxAir makes two sizes of covers. The standard size fits the basic vents. The larger fits the Fantastic Fan and allows it to open. I think it's called the FanMate II. With it, the rain sensor is taken out of the equation. Had them on our rig since 2009. There are hinge mount kits that will allow you to easily open them (on the roof) so you can clean under them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lou_and_Bette

the MaxxAir II (the one with the hinges) will not fit my bathroom vent and didn't fit Malcolm Talley's either. Some of our BH's have a Dexter vent and the MA II's do not fit.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
the MaxxAir II (the one with the hinges) will not fit my bathroom vent and didn't fit Malcolm Talley's either. Some of our BH's have a Dexter vent and the MA II's do not fit.

Yup!

We have the new Dexter/Ventline vents on our 2015 Prowler, and the mounting brackets for the MaxAir II don't line up.

I've talked to Ventline and MaxAir, and both said I'd either have to drill holes in the roof to mount it (plus two more I plan to purchase), or make my own brackets.

I'm surprised that they are not all over this as they could make some easy accessory sales!

I'll probably try to work on this project this weekend . . .

I'm going to try and make some new mounting brackets (I really don't want to drill holes in my roof).

This is what the vents look like on our Prowler:

ProwlerVentLid-P1000086.jpg ProwlerVentLidInside-P1000092.jpg

jbeletti

I want to place vent covers on my 2015 3160EL Bighorn so I can leave the vents open in the rain and as we go down the road. I have a thermostat controlled vent in the rear and a manual open in the bathroom. I have been looking at the Maxxair units but looking at the configuration that I have I don't think they will work. Do you folks know of vent covers that will work?

If either of these are Fantastic brand, they make their own cover that fits perfect. I've used them on 3 separate coaches so far. They allow the lid to completely open up too.

'Lil Guy'

Like Jim said, the Fantastic Fan has it's own vent cover that fits perfectly. On our BH 3270, the bathroom vent fan is like the pic in JohnD's post. I just took a 4" disc sander and removed the four tabs that extend from the vent and then followed the install with the MaxxAir II vent cover. Took about 5 minutes to remove and clean up the protrusions on the outside of vent. The mounting hinges bolt right in place of the protrusions.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Like Jim said, the Fantastic Fan has it's own vent cover that fits perfectly. On our BH 3270, the bathroom vent fan is like the pic in JohnD's post. I just took a 4" disc sander and removed the four tabs that extend from the vent and then followed the install with the MaxxAir II vent cover. Took about 5 minutes to remove and clean up the protrusions on the outside of vent. The mounting hinges bolt right in place of the protrusions.

I might just try this as MaxxAir seems to not be interested in adjusting to the current vents.

Seems strange as you would think that they would be interested in making money off of upgrades.

'Lil Guy'

John, I used a 36 grit pad and they just flew off.lol I did manage to gouge my knee pretty bad with the sander and spent more time cleaning up the blood than the install. Like you, I wanted a vent cover and decided to do what was necessary to get it done. Simple fix and look nice.

tmagnuson

I talked to Ventline customer service, who makes the Ventline EZ-Lift Ventadome, they told me that the Maxxair vent cover is the one to use but you have to get special brackets from them. These brackets mount to the four tabs on the outside of your Ventadome. No drilling required. Here is Maxxairs customer service number that Ventline gave me to call to get the brackets. (316) 382-4357

Here is a link to a possible online provider of the brackets. Not 100% positive if these are the correct brackets so use at your own risk.
http://www.carid.com/rv-products/maxxair-bracket-for-ventadome-e-mpn-10a-20111.html
I would call first and get a part number from Maxxair just to be sure.

UPATE:
I just installed the Original Maxxair vent cover on my bathroom vent (Ventline EZ-Lift Ventadome) and it installed fine with the brackets that were included. No modification required to the existing Ventadome tabs or the brackets. Took me about 15-20 minutes. FYI make sure the vent is open at least half way when you install the brackets as you can not get your fingers behind the tabs to place the washers and nuts. Had to make an extra trip up and down the ladder as no one was around to open it for me. A needle nose pliers also came in handy to hold the nut behind the tabs while threading onto the screws. I am not sure about the Maxxair II but the Original Maxxair worked.

Last edited:

jimtoo

Hi tmagnuson,

Welcome to the Heartland Forum and Family. Also welcome to the posting side of the owners forum.

Thanks for posting the info. I know several have made or changed something to make the covers work.

Enjoy the forum. Check out the Owners Club and join us at a rally when you can.

Jim M