ATF: Bighorn - What does "Gen Prep" include?

Gadgetman

Just wondering ... I bought my 2016 3160EL used last year. It appears to have been originally purchased with "gen prep" (I think) as it has the metal enclosure (box) in the front bay, a mounting frame, and a "pigtail" control connector. And on the inside switch panel there is a switch labeled Cummins-Onan.

My question is; is there a transfer switch installed somewhere as part of the "gen prep" package? And if so, where?

Also, what size generator is intended to fit in there?

danemayer

Hi Gadgetman,

Yes, Gen Prep includes a transfer switch. On a Bighorn, it'll be located behind the rear wall of the pass through basement storage. Heartland installs an Onan 5500 LP generator when ordered with the rig.

Gadgetman

Re: ATF: Bighorn - What does "Gen Prep" include?

Thanks for the info Dan! I really appreciate it!

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Dan,
I forgot to ask what brand transfer switch was installed on the 2016 3160EL's?? Thanks.

esscobra

any of the onan gas/propane units will fit 4k to 7k watts
- I installed the fuel injected 7k gasoline unit myself and it runs everything with no issues

Attachments

• 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 30

pegmikef

They force issue the gen prep in the Landmarks I found out. I neither needed it nor desired it as I have a couple of the Honda 2000s should I ever need portable power. I had them remove the firewall (metal box) and base plate as the storage space is more valuable to me.

DirtyMax88

any of the onan gas/propane units will fit 4k to 7k watts
- I installed the fuel injected 7k gasoline unit myself and it runs everything with no issues

How is your fuel supplied? Just curious, as we decided to go with the LP mainly because we didn't want to have to deal with refilling and such. Thanks.

esscobra

I spend lots of time at racetracks with no hookups 5-6 days - and its much easier to get gasoline than propane on weekends and holidays- so original plan was to install 20-30 gal tank like toyhaulers behind drop frame area- and while unit n order found a 14 gal unit that fits in place of propane tank- so ordered the upgraded larger propane tanks and just use 1 for stove/heat - I also have dual heat pump option and realyy only had to run the furnace about 6 times in the last year - most of those recently- and after having this setup for about a year now- it works amazingly well- even in heat of texas summer fully loaded bot a/cs 2 tvssat , residential fridge, charges etc- rnng 24/7 1 5 gal in am and 1 5gal before bed and it just keeps running- 1 time filled up bout 9 pm- didnt fill in am - it ran all night, all day until somewhere between 8 and 11p, when we got back to trailer.

Attachments

• ex4.jpg
    ex4.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 39
  • ex3.jpg
    ex3.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 36
  • ex2.jpg
    ex2.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_7928.jpg
    IMG_7928.jpg