Self-Install Onan 5500 Marquee Gold Gas Generator in Torque 345

G-Man

I purchased a new Torque 345 with gen-prep package but without a generator. I managed to source an Onan 5500 Marquee Gold with relatively low hours that the previous owner had salvaged from a family member's RV that was totaled due to storm damage. After being removed from the RV, the generator was mounted on a rolling cart and set up with an external junction box with a 30 amp and a 20 amp plugs and used for a year for boon-docking his enclosed race trailer at the track. The unit starts and runs fine on the cart and I have verified voltage and load tested both circuits.

I've located the Onan generator installation guide electrical schematic and after reviewing I have a couple questions:
1. The generator has a 30 amp breaker and a 20 amp breaker. The schematic references CB1 and CB2. Is CB1 the 30 amp circuit?
2. The prep package has a junction box for connecting the generator with what look like #6 gauge feeds: red, white, black and ground. Once again the schematic refers to Load 1 (L1) and Load 2 (L2) which correspond to Circuit Break 1 & 2 from the generator respectively. Assuming that the white lead from the transfer switch is neutral, which lead is L1 (red or black). Obviously if this generator had two 30 amp circuits it wouldn't matter but since one of the circuits is 20 amp I'm guessing it makes a difference as the 20 amp circuit needs to be paired up with the lighter load.
3. Where do you connect the battery connection for starting the generator? Direct to the battery or to the 12v buss bar on the back wall?

I'm thinking it might be easier if I just replace the Onan 20 amp breaker with a 30 amp breaker. That way it won't matter which load is wired to which generator circuit breaker.

I would input from anyone who has done their own Onan 5500 generator install in conjunction with a Heartland generator prep package. Pics of cable routing and open junction box would be a huge plus.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Cabindoc

I did this myself and my gen prep package had a plug as did the generator. I'm guessing yours didn't? For the electrical portion I just ran 2 blacks into the junction box. 1 went to the black and 1 went to the red. I have been running 2 ac units this way and both are coming from one circuit with no issues. I would just do it that way and if you trip a breaker, flip them and try it. I would do this before upping to a 30. As for battery, straight to the battery. Don't forget the ground in that area. That goes to battery.

Attachments

• junction 2.jpg
    junction 2.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0692.jpg
    IMG_0692.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 38
  • junction box.jpg
    junction box.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 34