ATF: Bighorn - Why not schwintek on Bighorn

rono

Why does heartland use the schwintek slide mechanism on the Landmark and not on the Bighorns? The schwintek looks much cleaner than that BAL AccuSlide mechanism. It also looks like it would eliminate the need for the seal for the cables.

ram_1955

Schwinteks are okay for a small light weight slide but other wise are junk. I will not buy another unit of any brand make model that have schwinteks.
i had an SOB with three slides all schwinteks part of the reason I got rid of it was that one of the slides had 2 motors replaced an needed $1500 worth of repair and the unit was only 3 years old.

SNOKING

Schwinteks are okay for a small light weight slide but other wise are junk. I will not buy another unit of any brand make model that have schwinteks.
i had an SOB with three slides all schwinteks part of the reason I got rid of it was that one of the slides had 2 motors replaced an needed $1500 worth of repair and the unit was only 3 years old.

What he ^^^^^ said! Chris

rono

I was mainly talking about bedroom slide. Just got back from a tour of the factories and several other manufacturers are using them as well as Heartland on the the landmark. I don't like the way my seals are on my current Bighorn cause of the accuslide system. I have to keep glueing the **** things back on. I have a friend who has SOB and he has had his for 3 years with no problems on his bedroom slide.

AAdams

Our '16 BH3750FL has 4 Schwintek slides ( Both living room and both bedroom slides ) and 1 hydraulic ( Kitchen )

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I've heard the Schwintek motors are not the greatest on heavier slides. They may be okay for bedroom slides. The cable driven mechanism is already a proven winner for lightweight slides IMO. Trace

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Ted_Dee had an issue with one of his Shwintek front living sides at our rally this spring. It got out of wack somehow. It took quite a group of Heartlanders, including Jim B calling someone he knew in Elkhart, to get it back in so he could get on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbeletti

Ted_Dee had an issue with one of his Shwintek front living sides at our rally this spring. It got out of wack somehow. It took quite a group of Heartlanders, including Jim B calling someone he knew in Elkhart, to get it back in so he could get on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ted's slide was his ODS front living room slide. Trouble was the Schwintek motor on the south end of the slide. We thought it was a bad control signal, pinched wire etc but we trouble-shot all everything and in the end, it seemed to be the motor.

What I learned was how to disengage the motor to allow the slide to be manually pushed in. Fortunately, the motor on the north end of the slide was good, so with 1-motor and human assist on the dead side, we were easily able to get it in.

I've loosely followed Schwintek slide matters for a few years and the personal conclusion I've drawn is they are best suited to small, lightweight slides like a sofa or bed slide or maybe a larger slide without kitchen appliances.

That said, I'm sure this system comes in different motor sizes for larger slides and certainly, years of experience has given the manufacturer of them (Lippert now?) great insight to them and how to improve them.

ram_1955

With having had schinjunk on my SOB the only thing I would have the on is a small wardrobe. They use a very small motor and gearbox, same on all size slides, here is a block to keep the slide in place. The tracks are made of aluminum and the gears are steel. There is a 1" roller that the tracks are guided on. Not much support for the weight and torque of a large slide. NEVER AGAIN.

HornedToad

I've loosely followed Schwintek slide matters for a few years and the personal conclusion I've drawn is they are best suited to small, lightweight slides like a sofa or bed slide or maybe a larger slide without kitchen appliances.

That said, I'm sure this system comes in different motor sizes for larger slides and certainly, years of experience has given the manufacturer of them (Lippert now?) great insight to them and how to improve them.

I've closely followed Schwintek slide matters for several years now, not only reading the forums but watching mine go in & out. I've been fortunate not to have had any problems.

If you read the SOB forums you would have to agree with the RAM.

Then as I walk through the tailgate lot and see Schwintek slides on the new diesel pushers, including ones with full body slides, and even the million dollar motor-coaches...
I wonder if they're all that bad, why are the big boys still using them???