ATF: Cyclone - carpet ripped from slide out

viking4545

Does anyone know what would cause this and is it a common problem. There is no marking under the slide out, and nothing seems to be caught under the carpet. When I look inside the seals on the outside on the floor, it is full of sawdust, wire nuts, old screws and all kinds of other trash. I dont see a nylon rub rail that other companys seem to use and was wondering if heartland does the same: is it just missing on mine or is it not used. If its not used what would keep this from happening again, the edge of the carpet will be rubbed by the slide every time it goes in or out, and possibly rip again. Any help would be appreciated.

The rip started in the back when the slide was in 3/4 of the way and got worse the next time I used it(what the pic is of). The front edge of the slide normally would be off the ground coming in, but with the carpet bunched up it looks like the front edge is catching, however it is not. I think its actually wearing the carpet down in the back every time its used, and finally caught it. So I dont know what would fix this problem besides the nylon rub rail that Ive seen in others so the carpet doesnt get rubbed.

Attachments

• IMG_20110530_142858.jpg
    IMG_20110530_142858.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
viking4545. I don't believe it's a common problem but I have read a few reports where the slide out has damaged either the carpet or linoleum. Usually it's a screw head on the outer bottom edge of the slide floor but in your case it seems it may need alignment. What year is your trailer? Has it been doing this for a while? I've not yet tried any slide room adjustments but I know some owners have done it. I would consult a service center.

DC10-FE

I had this problem with my 2011 3010. The problem I had was due to the excessive amount of staples they used in production to keep the carpet on the main floor in place. As a result, it was ripping the carpet as well as scrapping the underside of the slide out which was leaving black streaks on the carpet. Once they removed the staples that were sticking up, which was most of them, the black streaking stopped but I do have something that's catching the carpet when if reaches the final extension of the slide out. I can hear the carpet tearing, but it appears to be under the slide on the last couple of inches of extension.

Based on your pictures though, it appears as if the slide is not rising enough to clear the carpet. It also appears as if whatever it is that's tearing the carpet is catching it from the slide and pulling the carpet with it. Looks like a slide alignment problem.

gpshemi

I had this problem in a Keystone product and it was that it was missing a teflon glide under there. The slide was riding on the edge of the unit. I think the Cyclone has a roller though.

viking4545

Mine also has no teflon glide or no roller. Was wondering if Heartland uses the glides when there is no roller.

viking4545

viking4545. I don't believe it's a common problem but I have read a few reports where the slide out has damaged either the carpet or linoleum. Usually it's a screw head on the outer bottom edge of the slide floor but in your case it seems it may need alignment. What year is your trailer? Has it been doing this for a while? I've not yet tried any slide room adjustments but I know some owners have done it. I would consult a service center.

I have a 2009 3795

gpshemi

My bedroom has rollers, but my main I think has a glide under there. Otherwise it's riding on the plywood. In time that all gets chewed up and then it catches on the carpet. Sounds like yours might just need adjusting. It shouldn't rub on the carpet that hard. When it starts in, the bottom comes in first, and in turn that raises the leading edge to prevent wear.

viking4545

My bedroom has rollers, but my main I think has a glide under there. Otherwise it's riding on the plywood. In time that all gets chewed up and then it catches on the carpet. Sounds like yours might just need adjusting. It shouldn't rub on the carpet that hard. When it starts in, the bottom comes in first, and in turn that raises the leading edge to prevent wear.

It actually didnt rip until the slide was 3/4 of the way in, then i used it again and it got worse like in the pic.