ATF: Cyclone - Fresh water tank overflow

Whirly

We bought 2012 Cyclone 3800 in Nov 2011. Never used fresh water tank but had undercarriage leak in Jan 2012. We had to pay service call for authorized dealer who said fresh water tank was overflowing (filled up every 3 days). He replaced the 4 way valve and we had no overflow for 3 months until 2 days ago (4 way valve on 'city' the whole time and using water pressure regulator). Freshwater tank was drained and is filling and overflowing again every 2 days. We will again have to travel several hundred miles to authorized dealer to get repairs. What should dealer look for as causing problem, and how will we know problem is corrected this time?

thanks, Whirly

danemayer

The 4-way valve could be the culprit, but since it was replaced, I agree with Kevin, it's more likely to be the water pump. If the internal backflow preventer in the water pump is not working properly, when you're connected to city water, the city water will flow back through the pump and into the fresh tank. That happened to me in January. I installed a Shurflo Backflow Preventer in line with the pump as a temporary fix and then replaced the water pump.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Whirly, I agree with the other replies. The easiest solution is that backflow preventer. Plan B might be a quicker solution. Go to the local hardware store and pick up an in line ball valve with 1/2" barbed ends. Put it in line between the pump and the tank in an easy spot to access when needed.

Whirly

Thanks all for your replies. I will ensure the dealer is aware of it when they work on it. If the factory was having problems with a water backflow, wouldn't you think they would have done something to correct it on my unit being as this was special ordered from the factory in Oct 2011?
Whirly

drzr

We bought 2012 Cyclone 3800 in Nov 2011. Never used fresh water tank but had undercarriage leak in Jan 2012. We had to pay service call for authorized dealer who said fresh water tank was overflowing (filled up every 3 days). He replaced the 4 way valve and we had no overflow for 3 months until 2 days ago (4 way valve on 'city' the whole time and using water pressure regulator). Freshwater tank was drained and is filling and overflowing again every 2 days. We will again have to travel several hundred miles to authorized dealer to get repairs. What should dealer look for as causing problem, and how will we know problem is corrected this time?

thanks, Whirly

We had to pay service call for authorized dealer.... Was service called reimbursed?

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Thanks all for your replies. I will ensure the dealer is aware of it when they work on it. If the factory was having problems with a water backflow, wouldn't you think they would have done something to correct it on my unit being as this was special ordered from the factory in Oct 2011?
Whirly

The Back Flow issue that you may be experiencing (if it is what I suspect ) is in the Shurflo pump ( guessing it is an Extreme 5.7 ) and this is just one of the common failure modes for this pump model. Shurflo has discontinued the production of that pump and has replaced it. Shurflo historically has had a good track record - up to this EX 5.7 model... But even with this model some people have used it for years without problems and some people can not get one to work for more than a few months... we do tend to hear from the people who have had them fail more than the folks who have not had an issue.

Something that you can do to verify the issue - remove the Tank side fitting from the 5.7 Pump ( this s a quick disconnect ) - and using city water pressure see of you have any water flowing out of the pump on the tank side. If you have water flowing then it is the Back Flow on the Pump that has gone bad. Two things that can be done to resolve this if it is the back flow on the pump.

1) replace the Pump
2) Add a Secondary back flow valve on the pressure side of the pump

gpshemi

My 5.7 Shurflow did this as well. I figured it out before we leaked though by checking the monitor and saw it was partly full. We switched over to use the tanks, then opened the tank drain for the rest of the trip and turned the water off while we were gone durong the day. It leaked out the bottom, but that was ok.

Heartland replaced the unit under warranty
it was less than a year old at that point. The 5.7 pump aren't that hot in my opinion. When mine gives up, I'm gping back to the pressure tank and simple pump again like my last rig. It's a cheaper option anyway and works better.

Whirly

We had to pay service call for authorized dealer.... Was service called reimbursed?
No service call was not reimbursed. Dealer informed us if we towed trailer to their site, everything would be covered, but if we had them come to our site, we would have to pay for the service call. We decided we would pay for service call to our site because of inconvenience of tearing down, and we had no where to stay if we towed RV to the dealer site.
Whirly

Whirly

My 5.7 Shurflow did this as well. I figured it out before we leaked though by checking the monitor and saw it was partly full. We switched over to use the tanks, then opened the tank drain for the rest of the trip and turned the water off while we were gone durong the day. It leaked out the bottom, but that was ok.

Heartland replaced the unit under warranty
it was less than a year old at that point. The 5.7 pump aren't that hot in my opinion. When mine gives up, I'm gping back to the pressure tank and simple pump again like my last rig. It's a cheaper option anyway and works better.

Gpshemi, thanks for your input. We are really new to RV'n and it didn't even occur to me to switch to normal and use the water in the fresh water tank. I was constantly shutting off water hydrant and draining fresh water tank. After reading your msg, I switched to normal and used water pump, but pump is noisy and runs a bit every 50 seconds, so I would say there is a pressure leak somewhere. But it is a lot easier switching the pump switch off and on from the inside than running outside to water hydrant.
Whirly

danemayer

pump is noisy and runs a bit every 50 seconds, so I would say there is a pressure leak somewhere
This can also happen is you're leaking water downstream from the pump. You need to check it out.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
This can also happen is you're leaking water downstream from the pump. You need to check it out.

It will also happen when the back flow valve is bad - pump gets up to pressure and stops - the water in the system leaks past the back-flow valve and back into the FW tank... until pressure in the system gets to the point that it kicks the pump back on ...

replace the Pump .

ebgb3ex

New 2013 Cyclone 3800. I experienced a similar problem: Hooked up to city water and wife was taking a long shower. Grey tank was full and did not realize it because in previous rig the water would just back up into the shower/sink/etc. went outside for something and had a a "belly" full of grey water!! I know it was grey, not fresh because when I did some push ups with my back against the underlayment to relieve the pressure I could smell/see/taste the soapy water:) Being a new owner I thought I had a huge problem. Dealer said no leaks but that the grey tank has an overflow that drains right out into the underside of the rig?? Is this the true? If so, terrible design. Dealer said to leave grey open both front and rear?? What about bugs/gnats/etc coming up the lines into the tank??? Do I just have the same pump issue as these other folks? Any help is appreciated.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hello ebgb3ex and welcome to the forum. Lots of good info here
If your grey tank has an over flow that drains into the belly, that's a new one on me.
My grey water will back up into the shower as you stated it did in your last rig.
Leaving the grey valves open is, in my opinion, not the best idea unless you are doing laundry. Odors from the sewer will vent out your roof vents and that may not provide pleasant odor for you or your neighbors.
I would give Heartland Customer Service a call to verify the mystery overflow into the basement. It don't sound right to me.
If you suspect you may have a freshwater leak, or a leak at the pump, remove the wall in the basement and have a look around at all the fittings.
It's best to do this yourself rather than rely on what the dealer tells you. You will also get to know your coach a little better for future trouble shooting.
Heartland Customer Service
877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030

Peace
Dave

71stang99

I leave both of the gray tanks open except on the day the black tank is going to be flushed. If memory serves me right the 'one size fits all' owners manual even says its okay to do that but just dont leave the black tank drain open. One time I forgot to have the gray drain open and the water backed up into the sink but I never had that issue with the one that is fed from the shower.

Lynn1130

I could be wrong, and have been once or twice in the past, but it is probably better to leave everything closed up and then dump the gray tank(s) every few days. I did have a case, in a previous trailer, where I left the gray tank open to flush and had flying critters making a home in the gray tank. They can get into some very small openings and make their way to anything that they think is food in the tank. It took some work to rid the tank of the infestation.