ATF: Cyclone - Heavy Duty 3950

Was wondering if there is a possibility that you would consider a heavy duty version of the Cyclone 3950 - with all the toys and stuff loaded - I'm about 17,900 lbs before I add water. My family thinks our 3950 is THE perfect camper design, but since I won't fudge on the GVWR we don't carry water and thus can't really boondock.

I saw on this forum somewhere that someone had a 20 or 21,000 GVWR Cyclone - that extra capacity would allow me to carry water and all the gear / toys I presently load.

You previously told me that the pin box, frame and axles are a matched engineering design for the 18,000 GVWR and I understand that.

So is there any chance I could get a new Cyclone 3950 with a 21,000 GVWR?

Thanks!!

gpshemi

I've always questioned Heartland's math on this, but theoritically, the axles are rated at 18k, and they admit to designing the frame / components to match that. However, they don't take into account the pin weight on the tow vehicle. In my mind you should be able to take the 3000ish pounds of pin off that 18k since the rv isn't carrying it. This in effect should give you 21k..."ish".That in turn though would mean your hitch would have to take that and my 18k superglide would come up short...

I've always questioned Heartland's math on this, but theoritically, the axles are rated at 18k, and they admit to designing the frame / components to match that. However, they don't take into account the pin weight on the tow vehicle. In my mind you should be able to take the 3000ish pounds of pin off that 18k since the rv isn't carrying it. This in effect should give you 21k..."ish".That in turn though would mean your hitch would have to take that and my 18k superglide would come up short...

Their answer to me on this was that the frame can only take 18K - thus the pin weight counts toward the GVWR and you cannot deduct it from the load. If the frame was a 21K frame with an appropriate pin, but only 6K axles, then what you are suggesting could be valid. But Heartland has clearly stated that the frame itself will only handle 18K and thus pulling 21K through the pin will over stress the frame at the weakest point the front overhang.

porthole

Retired
Seems like it depends of the indvidual trialer. THere are several examples of members trailers, very similar, where the GVW is either 18K (3 axles x 6k) or 20500, 3 axles plus a pin of 2500.
I have seen both ratings on the stickers.