ATF: Cyclone - Questions about new Cyclone 4100 HD

This is my first RV and the dealer did a good job going over everything, but as I get more familiar with it I have some questions. Some of this was probably covered at the dealership, but because I was trying to absorb so much info I probably forgot some of it and due to my inexperience I didn't know all the questions to ask.
On the spec sheet under options it says winterization of unit - does this mean it has a cold weather package or was winterized to prevent damage to the water lines?

When winterizing my RV is the suction line in the UDC somewhere, the white line underneath, or do I need to use a section of garden hose hooked up for winterization?

What is DPU?

What is the interior framing made of? I would like to put some towel hooks in the bathroom, but don't know if it is wood or aluminum behind the wall.

Is it OK to run heat/AC off generator power while driving for pets/people riding in the RV?

We are taking it out for our first test run this weekend and I want it to go as smooth as possible.

I'm sure as we spend more time on the road I will have more questions. So far the forums and info on there has been very helpful.

Thanks

jbeletti

Welcome to the forum and to the Heartland family. I'll do my best to answer some of your questions. Others will surely jump in here with their take too.

Jim

This is my first RV and the dealer did a good job going over everything, but as I get more familiar with it I have some questions. Some of this was probably covered at the dealership, but because I was trying to absorb so much info I probably forgot some of it and due to my inexperience I didn't know all the questions to ask.
On the spec sheet under options it says winterization of unit - does this mean it has a cold weather package or was winterized to prevent damage to the water lines?
JB: It means the plant winterized the unit before it shipped to the dealer.

When winterizing my RV is the suction line in the UDC somewhere, the white line underneath, or do I need to use a section of garden hose hooked up for winterization?
JB: If there is a white flexible vinyl line that is loose, that is the suction line. Turn the water heater bypass valve(s) to bypass, turn the winterizing valve to winterize, drop the line into a jug of RV antifreeze, turn the pump on, open up the water taps one at a time to drawn the antifreeze in. The hose is not hooked up after winterization. I'd leave the winterization valve in the winterize state over the winter.

What is DPU?
JB: Not sure. Where are you seeing this at?

What is the interior framing made of? I would like to put some towel hooks in the bathroom, but don't know if it is wood or aluminum behind the wall.
JB: Interior wall framing is wood. Outside wall framing is aluminum. Use a stud finder or press in on the wall to find the solid framing.

Is it OK to run heat/AC off generator power while driving for pets/people riding in the RV?
JB: Many people do this without incident. Not sure if it's recommended though. I do believe Onan certifies the generator to be running while underway. Not sure if Suburban or Atwood certify their furnaces to be running while underway. I'd think the rooftop AC would be fine to run.

We are taking it out for our first test run this weekend and I want it to go as smooth as possible.

I'm sure as we spend more time on the road I will have more questions. So far the forums and info on there has been very helpful.

Thanks

danemayer

Hi dieselsuper,

I've run the A/C off the generator a few times but I haven't found it to be worthwhile. Others have reported it works well for them. I have also run the furnace when towing if interior temps drop below 40. Take care around fuel islands. Gasoline vapor and open flames don't go together. Even if you're using diesel pumps, the guy on the other side could be using/spilling gasoline.

With respect to people riding in the RV while towing, in many jurisdictions this is illegal.

Thanks for the quick reply.
It is a white hose with an on/off valve under the body just behind the UDC. The valve in the UDC was turned to City. I switched it back to winterize just now. Is this a concern for antifreeze running into the water heater? Do I need to run a bunch of water through the heater before I turn it on to make sure it is cleared out, or do I need to drain it as a precaution?
DPU is listed under optional equipment on the spec sheet.
Also, does RVIA seal mean anything, or is that a generic meets certain specs thing?
Thanks,
Scott

Thanks,
I had asked about people in the trailer when I bought it. Didn't think it was legal, but apparently in NC as long as we have two way commo with a 5th wheel it is OK. Need to do more research in the other states. I do have pets that will ride back there and even with the vents open it would probably get a little warm in the summer.

jbeletti

RVIA Seal is a fee imposed by RVIA to Heartland that is passed onto the retail purchaser. This is a statement by way of a seal that the coach was manufactured to RVIA standards.

DPU may mean "Dealer Pick Up"??

scottyb

It is a white hose with an on/off valve under the body just behind the UDC. The valve in the UDC was turned to City. I switched it back to winterize just now. Is this a concern for antifreeze running into the water heater? Do I need to run a bunch of water through the heater before I turn it on to make sure it is cleared out, or do I need to drain it as a precaution?
Also, does RVIA seal mean anything, or is that a generic meets certain specs thing?
Thanks,
Scott

The white hose under the frame near the UDC is your fresh water tank drain. I run my generator and AC for about an hour before arrival, and it really speeds up the cool down time.

whp4262

Thanks,
Scott

The valve on the UDC switches the intake side of the water pump between the fresh water tank and the hose that you use to suck the non toxic RV antifreeze out of the jug when you winterize. The water heater should have its own set of valves to bypass the water heater, on my Cyclone they are behind the water heater under the kitchen sink. When I get ready to de-winterize I put some water in the fresh tank and open all the faucets, shower and toilet valve until I get clear water with the hot water heater by-passed. After all lines are clear of antifreeze I switch the valves behind the water heater and let it fill up burping the air occasionally through the hot water tap or the pressure relief on the hot water heater. Don't know where the antifreeze pickup hose is on the new 4100 but on my 3914 its behind the wall panel in the storage bay.

whp4262

Thanks,
I had asked about people in the trailer when I bought it. Didn't think it was legal, but apparently in NC as long as we have two way commo with a 5th wheel it is OK. Need to do more research in the other states. I do have pets that will ride back there and even with the vents open it would probably get a little warm in the summer.

I think there are about 20 states that allow passengers in a 5th wheel with varying restrictions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk