ATF: Cyclone - Yeti/Canadian Actic Package Documentation

blong

Was wondering if there exists any documentation on the composition and proper use of the Canadian Arctic Package? I would really prefer to know rather than guess how it is set up and supposed to be used.

danemayer

Hi blong,

I've attached some marketing info. As far as I know, Heartland hasn't published specific usage instructions.

Operation is pretty simple. All installations have a switch that controls the tank heating pads. When temps go below freezing, you need to turn the tank heaters on. BUT, you have to have at least a little water in the tanks to dissipate the heat. It's possible to damage the tanks by running with tank heaters ON with empty tanks.

The heat tape is on the fresh water line between the fresh tank and the pump. Again it should be ON in below freezing temps and there should be water in the line (run the pump until water comes through a faucet).

On some builds, the heat tape is turned on with a separate switch. On some builds (prior years I think) it comes on automatically based on a temperature sensor.

The tank heaters are 110V and only work on shore power or generator power. The heat tape on the fresh water line is 12V. One thing to be aware of is that if you're running on battery power, the heat tape will draw the battery down quickly.

For other cold weather tips, take a look at our owner-written Water Systems Winter Usage Guide.

View attachment Yeti.pdf

blong

Thank you sir. Was really hoping for some official Document from Heartland but if none exists so be it. Just worried about what the warranty would cover if I have an issue. I guess it would be hard for them to claim improper usage if there is no documentation. Was thinking we could use it on our March trips to Florida while overnighting in the northern states, but if its 110 volts on the tanks then the next days traveling they might just freeze up so I guess we will just do as last year and wait until we are far enough south and are sure we will be traveling in above freezing temps before running any water.

danemayer

During winter travel, before leaving the campsite, I'll turn off the tank heaters and water line heat tape. Then I'll drain the gray tanks completely. Dump the black tank and add back about 5 gallons. Leave the fresh tank 1/3 full or less so we have water at rest stops. I'll drive for 6-8 hours and turn everything back on at the next campground, adding a little water to the gray tanks.

We've done this for 4 winter trips into the Colorado mountains without any problems. And we've left campsites several times with temps close to 0 F and maybe only 20 F on arrival at the next stop.

The only time we've ever had a problem is the first winter, when I ran the tank heaters with gray tank valves open. I did this for several weeks and burned a couple of holes in the gray #1 tank because there was no water in the tank. Gray #2 survived the abuse. I don't know how long it takes to damage the tank if you run the tank heater without water in the tank, but you probably don't want to find out.

blong

thanks Dan that sounds like a good plan and we'll try that next year for sure. Travelling with my wife and daughter, so the sooner we get the facilities functional, the better. Do you travel with the furnace heat on in the trailer?

danemayer

thanks Dan that sounds like a good plan and we'll try that next year for sure. Travelling with my wife and daughter, so the sooner we get the facilities functional, the better. Do you travel with the furnace heat on in the trailer?

I've run the furnace while towing on occasion. If it's 0 F when we break camp, I might run it in the morning. Our trailer holds heat fairly well while towing.