ATF: Landmark - Older tv in new Ashland

dana22

There are 2 hdmi plug ins, but the hdmi 2 is being used, I guess by the dvd player. So I have hdmi 1 to hook my hd satellite box into.

dana22

We took off the plate at the wall in the entertainment center meant for the satellite receiver and there was nothing there but the pigtail and no HDMI cable attached to it. No wonder the satellite receiver wouldn't work. Now what!!

jbeletti

We took off the plate at the wall in the entertainment center meant for the satellite receiver and there was nothing there but the pigtail and no HDMI cable attached to it. No wonder the satellite receiver wouldn't work. Now what!!

It probably became disconnected in the wall. I can't speak for customer service, but I see two options:

1. Run a new longer HDMI cable from your sat receiver to the TV directly*
2. Using a utility knife with a new blade, carefully (and shallow - 1/8"), open up the wall below the wall-plate opening to find the HDMI jumper end. Reconnect the dongle at the back of the HDMI wall-plate to the jumper in the wall and put a few tight turns of electrical tape around it to prevent it happening again. Repair cut-out wall section with piece of luan.

*Note on option 1, I ran MANY cables from my center upper cabinet down to the shelving area and in some cases, to the TV. I elected to core a 2" hole in the floor of that center cabinet, at the back.

kseagle

This won't solve the HDMI problem but may explain why Heartland switched to LG: Samsung 46" TV's have a known problem, they keep shutting themselves off. We ran into that while on the road last year. Samsung sent repair techs out to replace the circuit boards in the TV and all has been good since for us but maybe Heartland wanted to avoid the problem all together.

Jim,Could you explain #2 a little more please. What exactly is supposed to be connected to the HDMI wall plate and what does the "dongle" refer to? I'm confused why there would be an HDMI input that simply connects to an HDMI output?? Sorry - maybe not enough sleep last night!

jbeletti

Jim,Could you explain #2 a little more please. What exactly is supposed to be connected to the HDMI wall plate and what does the "dongle" refer to? I'm confused why there would be an HDMI input that simply connects to an HDMI output?? Sorry - maybe not enough sleep last night!

Nick,

The explanation for the #2 idea is that sometimes, connections come loose and sometimes the cable falls down the wall a bit.

The Dongle is a short HDMI cable at the back of the wall-plate, usually with a female HDMI connector on it.
hdmi_1_port_wallplate_1.jpg

The wall-plate generally has an HDMI cable connected to the dongle on the back side of the plate. The other end of the HDMi cable generally routes inside the side wall and to the back of yet another HDMI wall-plate closer to the TV. Then a standard HDMI jumper us used from the front of each of those 2 wall-plates to connect the TV to the source (DVD, Satellite etc.).

Jim,

Thanks so much! Makes perfect sense now. I appreciate you taking the time to answer back. We get our Newport in a few weeks and with the help of this forum, I actually feel like I'm ready!

Nick,

The explanation for the #2 idea is that sometimes, connections come loose and sometimes the cable falls down the wall a bit.

The Dongle is a short HDMI cable at the back of the wall-plate, usually with a female HDMI connector on it.
View attachment 42378

The wall-plate generally has an HDMI cable connected to the dongle on the back side of the plate. The other end of the HDMi cable generally routes inside the side wall and to the back of yet another HDMI wall-plate closer to the TV. Then a standard HDMI jumper us used from the front of each of those 2 wall-plates to connect the TV to the source (DVD, Satellite etc.).