ATF: Sundance - Add on air conditioner for bedroom

brsax

On my Sundance 3300 RLB there is just one AC unit ... over the kitchen. On hot days it is just not enought and I need to install one over the bedroom. I was told it is wired for this so I assume if I remove the roof vent I will see the connections. What else is required to prepare the area?

Can you recommed and exact unit that you know fits this area and works well.

I looked at a coleman that says it fits in a standard 14X14 roof vent. My bedroom vent measures 141/2 X141/2 in side and 16X16 outside the molding. Is this a standard roof vent?

Any other advice oin this project would be appreciated.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Brsax, welcome to the forum. The hole in your bedroom is a standard 14 x 14. If you take off the inside of the currently installed vent, four screws, you should see a piece of Romex wire, terminated in a plastic box. You can also look in your breaker panel for the second AC breaker. Might be called bedroom AC. There may also be some bell wire for the t-stat.
The hardest part of the installation is removing the caulk around the vent on the roof. Been there done that. Oh, and getting the new AC on the roof could be a challange.
I personally would get a low profile, 13,500 BTU unit for the bedroom.
One other thing to consider is whether or not you have a 50 amp service. You can get by with 30 amp, I know some that do.
Just my thoughts.

Peace
Dave

brsax

Thanks for taking time to reply. I do have 50 amp service and will have to consider the weight of the unit as I ponder carrying it up top.

hoefler

A 13,500 BTU Dometic Penguin low profile unit only weighs about 130 pounds. They work very well and with its short height, my satellite dome is still the highest point on our trailer.