Atlanta Travel

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Re: alanta travel

We went to and came home from the national rally via ATL. On way there we took 285 e from the south and got off on hwy that took us through Columbia sc and on way home we drove through atl on 85 from n to s in a pouring rain storm but it was also on a Sunday. Other than the rain no issues. Btw on the way up the DW drove through ATL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MCTalley

We always use I-285 on the south side of town when passing through via I-85. Pretty smooth, lots of lanes, no construction to speak of (lately).

Garypowell

Back in 96 - 98 when we fulled timed we used to just go straight through town on I-75 but no more. Either Bypass is OK it kind of depends which way you are coming from. On the way home last week we were off of I-85 so used the east side. It is probably the nicest as they now have I-685 (not sure) that cuts off and heads south before you get all the way over to the airport

downtown for the past 5 - 7 years is ALWAYS stop and go....well during normal travel times that is.....not sure what it is like at 12 midnight.

Seren

Back in March when we lived in Panama City we drove up to Knoxville to purchase our new home, a Landmark Grand Canyon, which was the first RV I ever owned or even towed. We drove it back down to Panama City and not knowing any better went on the 285 bypass around Atlanta at 6 pm on a Saturday. Traffic was congested, slow but at least moving. We didn't have much problem, but I think it would have been much worse if it was on a weekday. Personally, I would avoid it if possible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

GWRam

I would like any info on pulling a tt on or through or around rt 85 alanta ga thanks ramjleo

Ramjleo,

First I will make an assumption in my reply that you are talking about I85 not ga rt85 and also that you are coming from VA. You didn't say which direction you are going once you hit ATL either.

From about 8pm till 630am and about 10am till 3pm unless you see the overhead department of transportation signs warning of construction downtown or known delays on 75/85 you can zip right through down town atlanta and out the south side toward AL or FL no problem, maybe a slight lunch crowd interruption. If they warn of lane closures go around on I285.
Our first trip home from the factory with our newly purchased TT years ago, they warned of construction. I did 75/85 anyway, learned a valuble lesson about ATL the construction barrels were sitting 1/4 of the way into our (open) lane, one of the only two lanes remaining open while three lanes sat empty. And no work was being done anywhere.
If you go around I285 try to pick the shortest route for you desired destination. Think about this as in city names not east west north or south... such as Athens, Macon Birmingham for example otherwise you will get screwed. Also if you are going to do I285 from I85 be careful in planning your lane for exit to I285. For example.... in ATL when you are coming to any exit often if you are heading south and want to go east you will exit to the right and if you want to exit to the west you will exit to the left of the exit lane choices and the two off ramps crisscross later and you finally end up heading in the direction you want.
If you make it onto the I285 bypass remember that this is where all the thru ATL 18wheeler traffic is. They are not allowed into downtown as thru traffic. If you are going around the east side of ATL on I285 being two or three lanes over from the right in the area of the exits for I20 E and W will save you a lot of aggravation.
If you are going around the west side of ATL on I285 approaching the exits for I20 E or W go down the middle as the exits are off the left and right sides of the highway. The westbound I20 exit (which rare for ATL) actually exits to the right if your heading south) is almost always backed up onto I285 unless it is a slow time of day.
The same caution if you go straight through on I75/I85. Be two - three lanes over to avoid the area of I20E/W exit head aches.
Sorry this was so long winded, you didn't say which direction you were heading once you hit ATL.

Hope this helps,
Dave