Auto Retract for Landing Gear

RVFun4Us

Today when I was preparing to leave, I hooked up the fifth wheel as normal to the truck. Front landing gear up. I usually then go to the control center, turn it on, arrow down to Auto Retract, and push Enter as the display indicates. At this point, all four rear jacks go up, one at a time. Well, today nothing happened when I did that. The rear landing gear remained grounded. Only when I hit Retract and manually pushed the Rear button did the rear landing gear go up. This has never happened before. I will be leaving in four days and will see if it happens again. Does anyone have any idea why this would have happened? Everything else worked including retracting the slides and using the front toggle button to raise the front jacks. Thanks in advance.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Not sure why it did that.
These things seem to have a mind of their own some times !!!
But FYI you can hit auto retract to raise all 6 jacks after hooking up.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Not sure why it did that.
These things seem to have a mind of their own some times !!!
But FYI you can hit auto retract to raise all 6 jacks after hooking up.

Not to hijack the thread, but curious -- is it ok to be adjusting the front to hitch up with all 6 jacks down? I first manually retract the 4 rear, then go to the front to adjust them for hitching up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
Not to hijack the thread, but curious -- is it ok to be adjusting the front to hitch up with all 6 jacks down? I first manually retract the 4 rear, then go to the front to adjust them for hitching up.

Yes, it is ok. The center and rear jacks of each side are connected by a hydraulic hose. Which means when you raise or lower the front of the trailer the center and rears jack equalize. When the rear jack compresses the center jacks extend. The landing gear left and right jacks are also connected the same way.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Yes, it is ok. The center and rear jacks of each side are connected by a hydraulic hose. Which means when you raise or lower the front of the trailer the center and rears jack equalize. When the rear jack compresses the center jacks extend. The landing gear left and right jacks are also connected the same way.

Ok, thanks. That makes sense.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Yes Erika.
As he said yes it's is perfectly fine to do that.
When you return to the Level-up​ control to hook up. You power on press the left and right button at the same time.
The system will raise the front of the RV up to the hitch height, (still having all 6 legs down) then after you hook up you hit "Auto Retract" and all 6 legs will retract.
Then you ready to roll

I believe that's how the system was designed to operate.

Jerrod

RVFun4Us

Yes, my post was hi-jacked but all good info. Jerrod - any idea what the problem would be when the Auto Retract doesn't work? I still need to use the left and right button to return to the unhitch height, haven't done it yet. I have also always used the front toggle switch to lift to appropriate height but would not have to if using the left and right switch. Also, I usually use the Auto Retract for the rear jacks only. Will have to try this other method, if and when the Auto Retract works.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I would try
Unplug all of the plugs going into the little Control box in the front compartmnent. Wait a few minutes then plug them all back in. Hopefully that will reset the brain
Then manually level the RV with a 3 foot level.
Once you have it level as low to the ground as possible.
Turn off the power to your Level-up​ control unit. Then press
Then do the recalibration
Up (front)10 times
Down (rear) 10 times
Then press enter.
Hopefully that will reset your entire system and maybe it will start working correctly.
It's worth a try !!!!!

avvidclif

Just as a note. When I was (and still am) having problems I asked Lippert about unplugging to to a reset. Doesn't work, the brain uses a EEPROM which does not get reset by power removal. Scratch that off the "try this" list.

Gary521

Other forums that I have monitored, from time to time, have talked about pulling the red power wire to the controller and recalibrating level. I have done this a couple of times when the system goes batty and it works. Perhaps other things are going on here but whatever happens seems to work. Perhaps your controller needs to be replaced.

Last summer, I was at a park in NY and there were two 5th wheels there that were having issues with the Level Up. One was a new Bighorn, one SOB. Anyhow, we tried the red wire pull thing, wait a minute or two, reinsert the wire, recal the system. Bingo, everything worked after that.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Other forums that I have monitored, from time to time, have talked about pulling the red power wire to the controller and recalibrating level. I have done this a couple of times when the system goes batty and it works. Perhaps other things are going on here but whatever happens seems to work. Perhaps your controller needs to be replaced.

Last summer, I was at a park in NY and there were two 5th wheels there that were having issues with the Level Up. One was a new Bighorn, one SOB. Anyhow, we tried the red wire pull thing, wait a minute or two, reinsert the wire, recal the system. Bingo, everything worked after that.
It's definitely what I would try next if it were me.
Maybe it will work maybe it won't.

Nuclearcowboy

I also always manually retract the 4 rear stabilizer jacks, then adjust the front ones using my local switch during hookup.

pegmikef

The only time mine hasn't worked has been in cold weather, then some or all of the jacks don't retract and I manually raise them. My landing gear is always done when I run auto retract. There is a sticker on my control that says this may happen in cold weather.

RVFun4Us

Just got back last Monday from our trip. Had no problem with the Auto Retract upon departure so maybe the issue was just a glitch. I did try the left and right button maneuver and it did raise the king pin close to the right level. So was wondering. When I unhitch, I raise the king pin plate just above the truck hitch so I can safely drive away. But when I use the left and right button to get to the right height when trying to rehitch, it is too high (but the same place as when I drove off unhitching. So what am I doing wrong? Should I leave the king pin plate in full contact with my hitch but with most weight off of it? Just wondering what other folks are doing here.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I raise the king pin plate just above the truck hitch so I can safely drive away. But when I use the left and right button to get to the right height when trying to rehitch, it is too high (but the same place as when I drove off unhitching. So what am I doing wrong? Should I leave the king pin plate in full contact with my hitch but with most weight off of it? Just wondering what other folks are doing here.
The system is working as designed. When pushing the left and right button together it will take you to the position it was when you hit Auto Level. So if you want it to go to the position you want to hitch up at you will have to lower the front end before hitting the Auto Level.
Or, as you suggested just take most of the weight off the hitch plate the slowly drive out. Your system will then take you to that position.

Peace
Dave