Auto Transfer Swtch on Cyclone 3612

We have lost power to RV from shore line, however, can run generator which powers the RV. Spoke with a service technician who said that the transfer switch may be bad or it may need to be reset. He said to look for a reset button near the generator. Question 1, anybody know of the whereabouts of a ATS reset button? Question 2, where the heck is the ATS box?

danemayer

Hi Buzzworthy,

ATS stands for Automatic Transfer Switch. Shore power wires come in to the ATS, Generator wires come into the ATS, the output side goes to your circuit breaker panel. In order for shore power to get through the transfer switch, you need > 105V on the L1 leg. If power is 105 or lower, the contactors inside the ATS will not operate and no voltage gets through.

The ATS is typically located behind the rear wall of basement storage.

Before going in there, I'd suggest checking the pedestal voltage where you're plugged in to shore power, and make sure your power cord is secure at the trailer. While you could have a failure at the transfer switch, it's much more common to have a failure at the pedestal, or a poor connection at the trailer, or low voltage from the campground because everyone's trying to run 2 A/C units at the same time.

If you plan on investigating the transfer switch, I'd advise getting a non-contact voltage tester from a local hardware store. Get the $20 model - skip the cheaper ones. There's a lot of power going through the transfer switch. A mistake could be deadly.

Thanks, Danemayer. The pedestal was suspect at campground where we were last night, so we left and came home. We are now plugged into 50 amp circuit in our own RV garage, so we have clean 50 amps. We have checked the connection between the power cord and the RV and it seems tight and right. Our 30 amp adapter we were using at the pedestal did not fit into the 30 amp outlet. An old one I guess with three slots instead of two slots and one hole for the ground. So the campground guy replaced the 30 amp outlet with the newer version and plugged her in wile our generator was running. That may have blown something. Anyway, mobile RV tech coming Monday to check it out for us. We still can't find the ATS box. Thanks for your input, it is very helpful.

danemayer

If you were using a 30 amp adapter, that also could have been a problem. But it really sounds like a park problem. And anytime receptacles are out of the ordinary, or someone just now rewires, you have to consider them suspect.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The transfer switch is located behind the basement wall. Keep in mind there is an electrocution hazard if you start digging around in a hot box. I agree with what I read that it sound more like a campground problem

jmgratz

You will have to remove several screws and then the can be removed. Many of use have cut the wall and put a hinge on it to be able to access it more easily. You should really look behind the wall anyway. You will be able to check for loose water connection, and other things which might have rattled loose wile traveling.

porthole

Retired
and plugged her in wile our generator was running. That may have blown something.

Unless the CG wizard wired the the 30 with 240, it will not damage anything when plugging into a shore power with the genny running.

Your genny equipped rig will be generator priority through the transfer switch. Meaning that if you are on shore power and start the generator, once finished with the warmup period, the "Automatic" transfer switch will switch over to genny.
If you are on shore power and running the genny, if you shutdown the genny, the ATS will automatically switch over to shore power.

The first and easiest test is to have the genny off, shore power unplugged. Stand by the open basement door and have someone plug into the shore power. You should have a very noticeable clunk as the relays close and allow power to the panel.
Clunk or not, have someone start the genny and listen. After the genny goes through the warmup you will here the clunk as the relays close.

A very common issue with any of the trailers with gen prep and ATS controls is loose or damaged wires (from loose connections) inside the ATS.

If you are OK, with doing the work, find ATS (behind the basement wall, somewhere inline between your shore power inlet and the panel, listening for the clunk will give you an idea).
With the genset off and shore power disconnected, take the ATS cover off and look at the terminals. It is usually very easy to see if there is a wire and terminal issue. There will be black, burned wires and evidence of arcing.

Check the screws holding down the wires.

Thanks to all for good advice. We opened up the basement ear wall and found the ATS. All wires are tight and there is no evidence of arcing. No clunk when shore power connected, but a very noticeable clunk when gen started. Also a little green led light goes on when generator operating. I don't have equipment to test amps and voltage, so will await the mobile tech, but it appears the ATS is bad. The only other thing I can think of is a bad power cord, but I doubt very much if the cord itself is bad. Is that a possibility?

Anyway, thanks for the advice. Can always be sure to receive good input from Heartland owners on this forum.

Riski

I had a transfer switch problem that sounded similar to ours. I had power from the generator but no power when connected to the shore line. What I found out was somehow when I connected the shore line if burned up the inside of the transfer switch. Heartland replaced it as it was under warranty. However, to ensure nothing like that occurs again I bought a 50 amp surge suppressor, connect that to the pedestal and connect my power cable to the surge suppressor. Technology Research makes a pretty good one. I got the model 44270.

jmgratz

It is not uncommon for the ATS to fail. I would recommend you get a Progressive Industries EMS. We have the portable one that plugs directly into the pedestal. That way we can check the power on a pedestal before ever pulling into a site. Also the Progressive Industries EMS carries a lifetime warranty.

We have a 50 amp Surge Guard, but obviously not using it because the pedestal was only 30 amps. This was the first time in four years we have not had 50 amp service. My wife was right - the campground, and I use the term lightly, was a ****-hole.

jmgratz

We have a 50 amp Surge Guard, but obviously not using it because the pedestal was only 30 amps. This was the first time in four years we have not had 50 amp service. My wife was right - the campground, and I use the term lightly, was a ****-hole.

We use our 50 amp EMS even on 30 amp. Offers protection also.