Aux. fuel tank install

KL7j

Has anyone installed a aux tank in the bed of the 2011 GM Duramax truck with the LML engine and hooked it up to fill the main tank while you are driving? I did this on my 2004 truck but with all of the new emission stuff on the new trucks will it still work?

I have read pickup forums mention you would get a dash cel error as the computer evidently could not resolve the tank remaining full while mileage accumulated in some pickups so I can understand you concern. Maybe this has been resolved.

I had one auxillary tank which had three hose attachments. One an atmospheric vent hose, then another hose for fuel pick up tube off the top of the aux tank and third a fuel return hose.
The fuel pickup hose went to an inline 12V pump and on to the trucks filling neck tube that had been spliced with an insert that had two hose ports. The pump could fill the trucks fuel tank and if one forgot and left it running, the fuel returned by the second hose to the auxillary tank. If there is no return, the air vent in the trucks main tank fails from over pressure from the pump and you have fuel out the top. My setup worked on a 2011 Ford fine with no computer errors even with keeping the main tank full, but I really did not like having another fuel pump running.

I've looked at the tank from Northern Tool than can gravity flow from tank to a splice in the fill neck tube. There is a ball check valve in that splice tube that shuts off flow when the main tank is full. CFR DOT regs state you can't have gravity or syphon feed directly to the carburetor or injector. http://cfr.vlex.com/vid/65-all-fuel-systems-19947758
Not sure about Canada.
Some interpet gravity flow to the filler neck tube as acceptable.

The American Tank Co unit mentioned by others looks good to me. American Tank has their tank plumbed out the top of the tank to a switchable solnoid 'Y' system and you can draw fuel from either tank. They also couple the auxillary tank fuel level sender to your fuel gauge. You just switch tanks from within the cab. The fuel from ether tank is pumped by the trucks factory fuel pump. They do list the newer trucks as as compatible and the compuer would see the tank fuel gauge going down.

Transflo has one digitized switching system with a lot of options.
I sold my last truck and auxillary tank with the inline fuel pump and need to get an auxillary tank in this truck. It looks like my preference will be American Tank.

I agree with what was mentioned on travel in the Yukon and Northwest Territores, auxillary tanks are great and some stretches too long to make it to major fuel stops so one has to go to questionable fuel and/or certainly high prices in-between. Also I sure liked being able to wait and pick stations that had roomy pull thru.