Auxiliary Diesel tank

mobilcastle

Has anyone heard of someone being cited or fined by a state inspector or EPA for using a gravity fed diesel tank in their truck bed? I would like to use one. I seem to be reading that it is now against the law. If that is true we will now have the truck police. Northern still is selling them. Thanks for any info.

scottyb

Has anyone heard of someone being cited or fined by a state inspector or EPA for using a gravity fed diesel tank in their truck bed? I would like to use one. I seem to be reading that it is now against the law. If that is true we will now have the truck police. Northern still is selling them. Thanks for any info.

I used one in my Chevy until recently. Never heard anything about gravity fed diesel, just gas. Most transfer tanks specify "For Diesel Fuel Only". If so, you could easily circumvent the rule by installing an inline fuel pump. I would have done so anyway, if I was still using it because I found that stopping to turn on/off the valve to be a PITA.

jnbhobe

Its news to me I have been gravity feeding for years. I use a 12V soloniod valve to control the flow.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
I have used them forever as well. Using one now on my 2013 for diesel fuel. I think you will find that it is referring to gasoline. There is a legal limit that you can only have as well. It's a small amount but somewhere around 100 gal and you have to have placards.

You also have a fume issue to think about. Your main gasoline tank vents the fumes froze the evaporated gas out and into a charcoal canister that scrubs the fumes. There is also a requirement for a rollover vent on new vehicles. A aux tank won't normally have that and that's where the EPA Nazis come in, that's my bet.

Like I said. Just by bet on the subject. I'm gonna do some digging on this thru my industrial safety resources because now I'm couriuos.