Auxillary Fuel Tank...Ideas and suggestions welcome.

hillsonwheels

My Dad used to say that "Sometimes too nuff is better than too none!" ;) Having quoted him, my thought is that even if you have a larger tank........YOU DON'T HAVE TO FILL IT! But, when you need extra fuel for an extra long run, the capacity is available. Sure has taken a lot of stress outta my life! :)

alkyspeed

RDS 51 gal. gravity flow kit with manual shutoff. Can't beat it. Always have enough time to check around for fuel -- feels good not to worry.

Skipper5

Added the RDS 60 ga. tank. I wanted the 51 ga. tank, but Northern Tool was sold out. The 60 gal. tank was only $20 more. I add 40 gal. to it plus the original 26 gal. tank gives me way more travel distance than I'll ever need. Great tool box on the top side, and sets below bed rails. I paid $50 to have installed.

Too many "white knuckle" trips for me. Never again.

Best of Luck!!

Skip

Rrloren

I'm thinking about adding a small 12 volt pump in the line between my aux. tank and where it feeds into the fill hose to the truck's oem tank. Seems simple enough, if I get a no flow thru pump and run it to a switch in the cab I should be able to pump the fuel out of the aux. tank in a fairly short time. Has anyone done this? Looks like less than $75 and a little labor. Am I missing something?

caissiel

Check the local regulations. If a pump is installed fueling the tank or the motor it has to be installed by a licenced fuel installer and certification is required.
I love my dump tank and I have a solenoid valve installed that I can dump without getting out of the truck. I do have a bypass manual valve that I can use in case the solenoid valve breaks down. Been using this tank for the last 14 years.

Rrloren

That's what I want to do , flip a switch and dump into the main tank. What solenoid valve did you use?

jnbhobe

I run my last truck with a pump on the aux. tank. Problem was that I had to time how long I left the pump on or it would over fill the main tank. Once I pumped about 40 gal down the garage floor drain because I left the switch on. On the new truck I got the gravity fill from RDS and use a manual shutoff along with a solinoid shutoff, I think it will work better than a pump.

davebennington

I installed an RDS 60 gallon tank with the tool box also, gives me a total of 96 gallons on board. I used a solenoid shut off and a pump. It is plumbed into the overflow line of the main tank. I also added a fuel electric fuel gauge in the aux tank it makes it easier to track the fuel in both tanks.

Dave

tmcran

I need the bed space. I installed a 52 gal Titan. Replaces the OEM tank. Great when towing and can still carry stuff in bed u will enjoy the extended range.