Awaiting order from Factory concerns over PDI

Vinny773

Hello,
Last week we ordered a 2012 Big Horn 3455RL and we are waiting delivery from the Heartland Factory (we are no way in a rush). I have been reading on different RV threads that their 5th wheels were delivered to the dealer with lots of factory issues. This really worries me. The dealer is in New Jersey, where my girlfriend lives and I am in California. I will be flying out to do the PDI but what type of assurance that the factory does a full PDI before it's delivered to the dealer. We ordered different extra's and I want to be sure they are all included upon delivery (level up, trailer tri guide, washer/dryer, slide awning package, etc). Does the Heartland Factory do a full PDI before it's delivered to the dealer? If there are issues with the unit who's responsibility is it to fix them upon delivery to the dealer? This is our first 5th wheel and has most of you can tell we are getting nervous about the PDI. Can someone at the factory please tell us how this all works. What should we be aware of in the PDI prior to leaving the factory in Elkhart, Indiana. Has anyone had issues with there unit? What do we need to be aware of? All responses will be helpful to us newbie's.

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
Your dealer will do the PDI with you. If there are any concerns they will correct them. You should sign for the unit until you are satisfied. Remember you have a warranty period on the unit. Keep a pad and pen and write down any concerns. Everyone is nervous before they take delivery so you are not alone. My experience with Heartland has been very positive hang in there.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Vinny and Mary Sue, long distance purchasing can pose a few problems. I am not from the factory but this is what I would do if I were in your shoes.
First I would contact the dealer and have them send you a copy of the build order. That will show exactly what was ordered by the dealer. At least you will know that they did in fact order what you specified.
I would then ask that they do a thorough PDI, testing the water system, furnace, AC, refrigerator, TV, microwave, stove, oven, water heater and anything else you can think of.
Maybe have your GF go and check out the physical appearance both in and outside.
When it all checks out that is when they should call and tell you it is ready for pickup.
Just my thoughts. Best I can come up with.

Peace
Dave

branson4020

Icantre Member
Dave,
Guess I'm cynical about dealers, but I would not trust any of them to do a PDI where I was not present 100% of the time.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I agree about dealers, but when you buy something on the other end of the country this is something you may have to deal with.

Peace
Dave

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Our purchase was "long distance" from Ohio to the fourth corner of Washington State. We purchased from a reputable Ohio dealer who did the PDI on our Big Country when the unit was delivered from the Heartland factory. This same dealer recorded two DVD's of a tech going through our exact rig explaining all the systems, general maintenance, and how to winterize etc. We were very pleased with the entire process. The only downside was the trip from Ohio to Washington in February left our coach with lots of rust and salt on the undercarriage. Other than that, we have been very fortunate with the purchase. When it was delievered to our driveway, I alone did another PDI of sorts. The driver would have returned the rig to Ohio (albeit at some cost to me) if I was not satisfied.

Best of Luck in your Quest! You will really enjoy the Bighorn.

TeJay

Vinny,
You've gotten some good advice. These folks have lots of experience to share. Here's some other items to consider. We had two motor homes and 20 years experience camping before getting our first travel trailer. We stilled missed a lot when we had our PDI. There were several item not covered and we missed several items that required us to drive 125 miles to them repaired. The shower leaked around the bottom. They did not show us the panel you have to take off to get to the water tank. As a result I burned out the element because I didn't remember the two valves that needed to be opened to allow water to get into the tank. We always left these open in our motor home. They said the shower worked but nobody sprayed water around the bottom areas to check for leaks. What I'm getting at is they may check everything but they won't live in it like you will and some things will get missed.

Take a video camera and video them as they do the PDI. You will forget some items. When you ask questions their answers will be available for review later. Check all your doors for correct fit in all directions. Look at hinges and check for squareness to the door and check how well they close and latche. Take a good flashlight and check under sink, cupboards and any other enclosed area. You never know what you'll find. Check drawer slides. If they've checked the entire water system both holding tanks should have water in them, but none of it should be waste, just water. Have them walk you through emptying your holding tanks. Check to make sure both flush valves close and shut tight. Now use the water hose to fill your fresh tank. Check to make sure the water level lindicator works. Now check all faucets and your toilet flush. I'd turn on your AC unit/s to make sure they work and that they are not to noisy. They probably already checked them but if they didn't then you did. I'd raise and lower your levelers/stabalizers as well. Now is the time to find broken things. They may have pushed the button but not lowered them all the way. I'd also crawl under your rig and do a once under/over. Inspect your leaf springs. They do break so look for cracks in each leaf. Do a line of sight look down the springs, tires etc. It's possible that there is some misalignment and that would wear tires quickly. We took deliver in Feb. so I didn't crawl under. You might find a bracket loose or a loose wire or one not routed correctly or attached to the rig. Take a good tire gauge with you and check all your tire pressures and while you're doing that rub your hand along the tire tread and try to feel for excessive wear from tire to tire. Your rig came from IN. so it has some miles on it and any misalignment will show up as excessive tire wear. You'll be dragging it back to CA. and you don't want to have tire problems.

Best of luck on your new adventure.
TeJay

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Depending on your dealer, I would stay two days & nights in the trailer and test out everything. Now the problem with this is they may say the insurance company will not allow people to stay overnight on their property. They just don't want you to stay all nigt.... Many dealers allow or provide full service hookup for customers. My dealer would not let us say in our trailer. If this happens to you have them tow it to a campground and you stay there and test it out.

BC

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Vinny,

You are in good hands! Crossroads will do an inspection of the rig even before you are notified that it has arrived in NJ. I know the waiting is difficult but hang in there. Any issues you find will be repaired at the dealership before you accept the coach. Just don't sign anything until you have a "we owe" sheet which will list what needs to be addressed. Yes, there have been delivery issues as there will be with any manufacturer. We are at the dealership quite often and try to stay informed on the delivery conditions. If Mary Sue needs any help on this end send me an email or PM and John and I will be happy to help her out. You have done business with a very good dealership that believes in customer care!

aatauses

You being in one part of the country and the rv in another is not that unusual. Even after the purchase, you may not be near your original dealer. I would take 1-2 days to go over everything in the rv, there are plenty of check list for you to use (if you need one let us know). Then record on paper everything that you have a concern about. the dealer should fix everything to your satisfaction before you leave the site. HL customer service is great and they will help you get through any other issues.
You have chosen a good rig and a great co. to do business with
al

Vinny773

Lee & Linda,
thank you for the advise. I appreciate the feed back. Crossroads appears to be a very good dealership.

Vinny773

aatauses,
We plan on staying overnight in a RV Park a few miles away. Thank you for your advise and if you wouldn't mind I'll take a copy of the check list. All the imformation will help,

Vinny773

Debbie,
MarySue and I look forward to meeting you guys. Thank you for all the help. We really like Crossroads and MarySue feels very comfortable with Deanna. We are sure they will check out the rig before we arrive. They know I'll be coming in from SF to do the PDI. Possibly that weekend we can meet at the RV Park. You have lots of experience and seem willing to share.

Vinny773

TXBobcat,
we plan on camping in it immediately when we receive it. Thank you for the good advise

Vinny773

TeJay,
thank you! We will videotape it all and I'll be sure to check all that you mentioned. Your suggestions help gives us a piece of mind. Crossroads seems like a reputable dealership.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Vinny, Are you planning to camp at Morgan Resorts Buena Vista Resort? If you are you might want to rethink your plan. We went there last week and couldn't make clearance of the overhang at the registration area and had to back two rigs ( both Bighorns) out of the driveway. We were so upset after 2 and 1/2 hours in the CG, still without sites, that we demanded our money back and went to another campground the same night. If you opt to go to Buena Vista DO NOT pull in the registration area.

Vinny773

Hi Debbie,
that is/was our plan. We were told it's the closest RV Park to Crossroads and we could check-out the new rig and if any problems bring it back to be fixed to Crossroads. I believe Crossroads suggested this RV Park. Do you have any suggestions on a close RV park to Crossroads? I would appreciate any suggestions or idea's that you may have. I hoping to be down there in early August for the PDI.