Awning arm repair

Pokiejoe

Back in the fall we were unfortunate enough to have the wind catch our main awning and bend the aluminum angle iron that attaches to the coach. We have been in contact with Dometic and Heartland parts and Camping World. Was wondering if anybody else has had a problem and what was their solution. Everyone has told us that we can't buy the aluminum angle iron alone, they want $254. for the whole arm. Any suggestions? Thanks!

ram22

I had my awning collapse last spring under weight of pooled water in rain shower. Fortunately, I saw it happening and made myself into a human awning support before that much damage was done. In my case, the end cap popped off but supports did not bend. I took screws out of interior fixtures and screwed the end cap back on. Take away for me was how cheap and fragile that whole awning is on my then almost still new North Trail. Now, I have a set of motorcycle tie downs to hold the extended awning down far enough that water runs off during rain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jerryjay11

We had to replace our awning support after a hit-and-run with our TT. I went to a local private camper sales business near where we were camping, as I thought they might have something. I was right because they sometimes use pieces of the whole arm assembly to make a repair. Makes since for them to save parts of assemblies for future use. The price was way better too.

i4110peter

can anyone tell me if the electric awnings are still spring loaded as the old manual awnings were? Need to do some work on one of the arms and need to know before disassembly. Thanks in advance.

WillyBill

can anyone tell me if the electric awnings are still spring loaded as the old manual awnings were? Need to do some work on one of the arms and need to know before disassembly. Thanks in advance.

Yes they are. Facing the trailer, the one on the left is the spring. If you have to work on the arms on that end, unwind the spring. Instructions for your particular unit are on MFG web site. Follow instructions carefully as the spring can break a hand, arm, or knock you off the ladder. Be Careful!!!

Good Luck.

WB

i4110peter

Yes they are. Facing the trailer, the one on the left is the spring. If you have to work on the arms on that end, unwind the spring. Instructions for your particular unit are on MFG web site. Follow instructions carefully as the spring can break a hand, arm, or knock you off the ladder. Be Careful!!!

Good Luck.

WB

Thank you for the reply. Fortunately it is the one on the right that I need to contend with. I have worked with the spring loaded awning on my 2002 Monatana, so am familiar with the process. Thanks again.

DFT

Back in the fall we were unfortunate enough to have the wind catch our main awning and bend the aluminum angle iron that attaches to the coach. We have been in contact with Dometic and Heartland parts and Camping World. Was wondering if anybody else has had a problem and what was their solution. Everyone has told us that we can't buy the aluminum angle iron alone, they want $254. for the whole arm. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Just wondering what your final solution was. The wind grabbed our awning also. It looks like the arm needs to be replaced but we are new to the RV experience.

Pokiejoe

Just wondering what your final solution was. The wind grabbed our awning also. It looks like the arm needs to be replaced but we are new to the RV experience.

We took the arm to a welding shop and fixed it for $40, that's better than $500. We painted it and put it back on. Working great!