Awning Care And Upkeep

JanAndBill

We had the our awning fairly clean, then in April when we came in, we ran through heavy rain. We parked it under the cover with the intent of pulling it out and cleaning the awning and letting it dry. Unfortunately a medical issue put be down for two months. So, in the meantime we ended up with a lot of mildew from where the rain had soaked through. Most of it I was able to remove with a scrub brush and Krud Kutter, but there are some areas that look almost like rust stains that will not come out. Since there isn't any iron around the awning, I can only assume it is contamination that came from the downpour. Anyone else have this and how did you clean it off? Also, is there anything out there that you can spray on the awning that will retard or prevent mildew?

bsuds

Cleaned my RV awning today. Used a 20-30% bleach to water mix with a bit of Dawn dish soap too.

Sprayed both sides with a garden pump sprayer and rolled it back up for 15-20 min. As I let out a few inches at a time I scrubbed with a soft brush. Rinsed thoroughly with a hose and helped the drying process a bit with a cloth. Will leave it out till it dries completely.

I'm amazed at how clean it is now, looks like new!

avvidclif

I use Tub and Tile Mildew Remover. Pour a large bottle in a 1 gal sprayer and fill with water. Roll out the awning and spray the bottom side down real well then roll it up for abt 30 min. Roll out and rinse. If necessary repeat. No scrubbing or anything else. Rinse well and let dry. Comes out looking like new.