Awning Gas Strut Replacement

DC10-FE

Does anybody have the replacement part number, or specs (length/lbs of force) to purchase locally, for the electric awning gas struts? I had one that was binding. Since the switch is inside the coach, I wasn't able to see the strut bending during retraction. As a result, the strut is no longer functional, which has made the awning no longer functional. I have a 2011 Cyclone 3010. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

porthole

Retired
Call Heartland with your serial number. You first need to find which awning you have. Two brands were installed on at least the 3010, Dometic and Carefree.

I have the Carefree and that version has gas struts that had riveted pins. Mine have rusty shafts and I have delayed replacing them because of the rivets.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If I'm not mistaken, the "specs" for the strut are printed on the barrel. That might enable you to find a replacement locally.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
The Carefree awning on my '11 CY3850 will not start to extend without assistance. I'm thinking the struts are in need of replacement but don't want to replace them without checking for other possible causes first.
Any troubleshooting suggestions?
Thank you for any ideas!

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Neal... I too had experienced it not wanting to extend without assistance a couple of times. There are 2 primary factors that make a difference. The first one is that the rails and rollers must be very clean and the second one is the coach must be level or tilted slightly towards the door side as it is primatily started by gravity. If the rig is slightly tilted toward the opposite side it "hangs up" a bit. I'm tall so it's is never really an issue, just touch it to get it moving out and it's fine. (sometimes the awning material kinda sticks to itself after exposed to the elements and especially in the heat being rolled up, keeping it clean makes a lot of difference)

The Carefree awning on my '11 CY3850 will not start to extend without assistance. I'm thinking the struts are in need of replacement but don't want to replace them without checking for other possible causes first.
Any troubleshooting suggestions?
Thank you for any ideas!

DC10-FE

Thanks for the links. I was having problems with it extending and retracting and knew I was having a problem with the right side strut. The winds in Phoenix took care of any "milking it" I was doing any longer.

DC10-FE

I have the Carefree and that version has gas struts that had riveted pins. Mine have rusty shafts and I have delayed replacing them because of the rivets.
I have the Carefree version as well. I have the "steep pitch" as I'm sure you have as well. The way to determine this is measure from the top rail to the bottom of the rail attached to the coach. If it measures 57", then you have the "Steep Pitch". The good news Duane is that you don't have to worry about the rivet pins. If the struts are bad, you can replace them in about 15 minutes. They are threaded on each end and can be removed with the awning fully extended. The part number is R001331. I have further problems with mine, while trying to retract it with the bent cylinder, I was able to bend what is referred to "channel B". As a result, I now have to replace a $500 (min) part, since you can't buy "channel B" separately. In other words, I have to remove and replace the ENTIRE right arm because of a BENT GAS SHOCK. Not a happy "camper" at this moment.