Awning issues

jimcham

I am new to RV'ing and purchased a 2015 Prowler 28p bhs last fall. I noticed that the awning was not flush at the top when I rolled it up, it seemed that the awning was too thick when rolled up to allow the top to latch flush against the bar. However, it would latch at the bottom so I thought it was designed that way.

I took it out several times and did not notice any issues. Today I was taking the TT to the dealer to have a couple of warranty items fixed (minor) and on the way the wind blew my awning off. It somehow blew the top of the awning which, in turn, blew it down and broke off the bottom part. The wind was extreme, it had to have been 50+ mph. I wondered if this issue was related to the awning not being flush at the top or if it was truly 100% wind related. Are awnings supposed to be perpendicular to the bar when it is fully retracted, or is it only supposed to latch flush at the bottom?

Is it possible they put an awning that was too thick at the top to properly latch? I have noticed a couple of other minor issues (the sewer exhaust had a screw going through the side of it, the nut for the light fixture was the wrong size and would not stay on, and there were damaged shades on one of the windows.)

Any information is greatly appreciated.

danemayer

Hi jimcham,

Sorry to hear about your awning. I'm sure you'll get some comments shortly on how manual awnings normally roll up and latch.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Been a while, but on our former TT, the manual awning had a latch on the forward end that locked it in the retracted position. You had to pull it down with the awning rod in order to deploy it. Likewise to roll it up, you had to move that lever to release it (and hang onto the awning strap).

whp4262

The awning on my motor home worked as JohnDar described but it also had two latches on the frame. When retracting you would open these latches and once the awning was rolled up you would lift the awning legs to snap the top in and close the latches which would prevent it from opening back up. Now that I have an electric awning I can say it's much easier when all you have to do is push a switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimcham

The awning on my motor home worked as JohnDar described but it also had two latches on the frame. When retracting you would open these latches and once the awning was rolled up you would lift the awning legs to snap the top in and close the latches which would prevent it from opening back up. Now that I have an electric awning I can say it's much easier when all you have to do is push a switch.

Thank you guys, I appreciate you taking time to share information. It is very helpful because I'm new to RV'ing and could use all the help I can get these first couple of years. Because the damage was from the wind I have an insurance quote in, I was just wanting to make sure I didn't contribute by not having the awning properly secured. I don't think I had anything wrong, the wind was just very, very strong. I felt as though it was going to blow the camper over while driving down the road, it was that bad.

Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:

jimcham

ATF: Prowler - Awning would not roll up all the way

I noticed that when my awning was fully closed, the top was not flush with the bar. The bottom was flush and did lock. Because the locking mechanism worked and the rolled awning appeared too thick for the bars to be connected at the top, I thought it was designed that way.

There was very strong wind by my house and when I was traveling down the road, the awning blew open and ripped off the travel trailer. My question: How do I know it wasn't a defect in the installation of the awning at the factory? Are the awnings supposed to be flush at the bottom and top when rolled up? Is there something I did wrong when retracting the awning?

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Jim Chambers, 2015 Prowler 28P BHS

Attachments

• 20150410_132028 (2).jpg
    20150410_132028 (2).jpg
    842.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 20150410_132037.jpg
    20150410_132037.jpg
    832.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 20150410_132019.jpg
    20150410_132019.jpg
    853.6 KB · Views: 29