Awning not staying in track

crussian

Hi All - I am sure there are others that have experienced this at one time or another. I have a power awning, which I dearly love, but the material is pulling away from the track. It looks like about 4-6 inches is no longer in the track. Pictures are attached for clarification.

Thanks n advance for your responses.

C & J

Also wanted to mention that the awning, whether going up or down is also taunt, no play at all. Just real hesitant to use a flathead screwdriver to force it back in the track.

Attachments

• 20170415_092625.jpg
    20170415_092625.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 99
  • 20170415_092631.jpg
    20170415_092631.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 94

lynndiwagoner

I haven't done this but I probably would try it if it were me. Take a big screwdriver with a wide blade and try to pry the gap open so that you can get that small piece back into the track, then take a pair of vice grips and squeeze it back together. I'm thinking there should be a small screw that holds the end of the awning in the track and prevents it from sliding. Believe me that would be much easier than re-threading the whole thing back in....believe me. Good luck.

Resiemon

Mine did the same thing. You have to releive the tension on the fabric, remove the screw from the track, pull the fabric forward and rethread the fabric. Do not use a screw driver. Fix it soon before the led light holder is busted off. Use wd40 to make the fabric slide better if washing with water does not remove the accumulated grit in the track.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

crussian

Any idea how to relieve the fabric so it's easier to put back in track?

C&J

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Resiemon

If any more is unthreaded you will have to disconnect the roll from the arms. A 3 man job.

Resiemon

I used a vise grip and rope on both ends to keep the arms 2 ft from the wall.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Roll it all the way open and then use a strap or rope to hold it back towards the RV to give you lots of slack.
After you get it forced back into place use a block of wood and a hammer to hammer the rail closed.
Don't use pliers because it will chip the paint off.
Then once you get it into proper alignment put a screw in each end.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

dlw930

Even if you get the awning back in the track, it may not stay in unless you adjust the tension in the roller. Check the Dometic A&E Installation Manual in the Heartland Owners Manuals (HOM) section of the forum. Personally, I would find a tech to make the adjustment since it can be tricky and potentially dangerous due to the tension in the roller spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Even if you get the awning back in the track, it may not stay in unless you adjust the tension in the roller. Check the Dometic A&E Installation Manual in the Heartland Owners Manuals (HOM) section of the forum. Personally, I would find a tech to make the adjustment since it can be tricky and potentially dangerous due to the tension in the roller spring.

I don't think there are any tension springs in the electric awnings.
The motor runs it out and back in !!!!

Resiemon

There is a spring in the rear/ non motor end. 12 turns. The track is aluminium and will crack if bent.

dlw930

Following from the Dometic Power Electric Awning Installation Manual:

01ccde536a6b2dada4c6130f022ec5e5.jpg

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Following from the Dometic Power Electric Awning Installation Manual:

01ccde536a6b2dada4c6130f022ec5e5.jpg

I guess that say it has a spring in it. Must be to assist the motor going back in.
However he will not be touching that part of the awning while he's working on the opposite end putting it back in the groove and pinching the channel down.

dlw930

I guess that say it has a spring in it. Must be to assist the motor going back in.
However he will not be touching that part of the awning while he's working on the opposite end putting it back in the groove and pinching the channel down.

Yes, but the OP indicated the awning was overly tight when extending/retracting the awning, which may be the cause of the upper end pulling from the track, and could also result in premature motor failure. To my knowledge, the only way to adjust the tension in the awning fabric is from the ends of the roller per instructions in Dometic's installation manual.

rhodies1

I don't think there are any tension springs in the electric awnings.
The motor runs it out and back in

There is a tension spring in he electric awnings,if you ever need to replace a motor,you must insert a cotter pin into the awning end at the door side to hold the tension when removing the motor,the awning is under tension.

gasman

Camp Socializer
We had the same problem. While at the national rally in Las Vegas, the Dometic factory techs checked it out. They said they never reduce the tension from the factory setting. They said the awning rail opening is slightly oversized. They pried the bead back into the rail and pinched both ends down with vise grips.