awning rail screws

Dahillbilly

what's the cure for replacing the screws holding the awing rail to the RV, majority of mine are just spinning in the holes. Surprised it hasn't pulled away from the RV.

Bogie

Robert,

I looked for slightly heavier stainless steel screws with course threads. Shot a little silicone in the hole before putting the new one in. All were screwed in by hand only to insure they weren't over torqued. I only changed the the screws that were a problem. Fortunately only a few.

hoefler

The rail needs to be in the framing behind the skin, not just in the skin. It is mounted in the wrong place, you will need to go higher or lower to find the substructure to mount to.

Dahillbilly

The rail needs to be in the framing behind the skin, not just in the skin. It is mounted in the wrong place, you will need to go higher or lower to find the substructure to mount to.
was installed at the factory one would think they would know where to mount it. But thanks for your reply

wdk450

What about injecting some expanding urethane glue (Gorilla glue) into the screw holes (with a spritz of water before to help activate the expanding urethane), letting stuff set at least overnight (2 days better) then running the screws back into the "repaired" screw hole??? Probably best to drill small pilot holes in the dried urethane glue plug, even if the screws are self tapping. You will probably have to trim the excess expanded urethane glue on the tops of the screw holes with a sharp knife.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Large diameter, 1”long pop rivets might do the trick if you know how to use them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LBR

Our CY is designed where the front awning had to be mounted about 6" lower than the rear awning because of roof taper and bedroom window placement. Unfortunately the screws were factory mounted thru just the exterior wall without any tooth into anything substantial like the rear awning was.

3 years ago, I had to figure out how to battle this same issue. I pulled it loose and suspended it in place with the arms, cleaned the wall and mounting plate up, then used the correct size of plastic drywall inserts and the removed screws with a clutched drill. All screws came reasonably tight without spin-outs.

Dahillbilly

Our CY is designed where the front awning had to be mounted about 6" lower than the rear awning because of roof taper and bedroom window placement. Unfortunately the screws were factory mounted thru just the exterior wall without any tooth into anything substantial like the rear awning was.

3 years ago, I had to figure out how to battle this same issue. I pulled it loose and suspended it in place with the arms, cleaned the wall and mounting plate up, then used the correct size of plastic drywall inserts and the removed screws with a clutched drill. All screws came reasonably tight without spin-outs.
kinda like this fix. Did you have a problem with the awning trying to wind up or unwind? I will have to extend the awning a few inches(6-8) in order to remove the screws

LBR

kinda like this fix. Did you have a problem with the awning trying to wind up or unwind? I will have to extend the awning a few inches(6-8) in order to remove the screws

Correct....I ran the awning out the 6-8" to allow a straight shot into screws with drill. Then I threw 2 long small nylon ropes attached to the arms over the roof and tied off. This keeps the awning in the same place for when all screws are removed, so you can still reach over and under the awning roll the full length.

I didn't want to enlargen the old holes for bigger screws....so the small blue drywall inserts added enough bite to help screws bite hard, but didn't crack the siding any. Set them all in with a small hammer, applied sealing tape full length on the metal, and attached all screws with a very weak drill clutch setting.....followed up by hand for a feel of tightness.

Our awning was compromised by a surprise mini-cyclone...was fully extended on a fairly still morning and the wind closed it almost fully. When the awning struts extended, it went all the way back out HARD and pulled many screws loose.

b52fe49a9704cbbbf2f51520a829faba.jpg

Dahillbilly

Correct....I ran the awning out the 6-8" to allow a straight shot into screws with drill. Then I threw 2 long small nylon ropes attached to the arms over the roof and tied off. This keeps the awning in the same place for when all screws are removed, so you can still reach over and under the awning roll the full length.

I didn't want to enlargen the old holes for bigger screws....so the small blue drywall inserts added enough bite to help screws bite hard, but didn't crack the siding any. Set them all in with a small hammer, applied sealing tape full length on the metal, and attached all screws with a very weak drill clutch setting.....followed up by hand for a feel of tightness.

Our awning was compromised by a surprise mini-cyclone...was fully extended on a fairly still morning and the wind closed it almost fully. When the awning struts extended, it went all the way back out HARD and pulled many screws loose.

b52fe49a9704cbbbf2f51520a829faba.jpg
thanks for the reply sounds like a good plan , fall job after camping season is over

Reactions: LBR

Routemaster

I don't know if this has been suggested yet here is another idea what about buying some lengths for example 1"x1/8"thick aluminum bar and finding the studs and attaching that to the wall then fixing the rail to that with 10/32 machine screws?
What do you reckon?
Den

LBR

I don't know if this has been suggested yet here is another idea what about buying some lengths for example 1"x1/8"thick aluminum bar and finding the studs and attaching that to the wall then fixing the rail to that with 10/32 machine screws?
What do you reckon?
Den
That would work great also...