Awning support

I know that awnings should be retracted during high winds and rain. Unfortunately I am away from my RV for days at a time and with RV's as tall as they are now, it is very difficult for my wife to pull the awning in if I am not home. Today is a perfect example as I am sitting at work and a fast moving rain storm has come through. Fast moving means decent winds.

I am wanting to add stabilizing poles to assist in these situations when I am away from the 5th wheel and a storm pops up. I am thinking two stabilizing poles that are pretty stout that I will have anchored to the deck I have outside the camper. I would like these to be adjustable poles. I may see about building my own, but wasn't sure if anyone knew where I might find poles that meet these needs.

Something similar to this is what I had in mind.

73be1aa89dae57171201b2a8774b21a2.jpg

RoadJunkie

I have seen well-anchored awnings heavily damaged by unexpected winds, even torn from the mounts on the RV. I would try to find an easy way for the Mrs. to retract the awning when you are gone or solicit the help of a friendly, knowledgeable, neighbor. I have seen micro bursts suddenly leave a campground looking pretty devastated with damaged awnings. Or, maybe you will be lucky and leaving the awning securely anchored will work.

'Lil Guy'

If you're leaving for any reason, seems you would retract the awning. If wife is home, is there a reason she can't retract it? If you lock the awning to have it at a lower angle, that's just two knobs on the awning which are accessible with a short step ladder. I have the sun screen attached to mine which can be staked to hold the awning down but I still wouldn't leave it out in high wind conditions. JMO

The 5th wheel is beyond high. We finally got our step ladder up to the lot so that will help. It's more for those storms that we miss or show up unexpectedly.

You know, the off chance the meteorologist gets the forecast wrong. Although i know that never happens.

'Lil Guy'

They sell the poles in the pick on amazon under RV awning extension poles. Then you need the Cajun straps to go with it. You're looking at about $130.00. If you leave it up you need to put a tilt to it to drain any waster due to rain so it doesn't accumulate on the top. The weight will tear your awning or possibly bend the support poles. Good luck in you endeavor.

farside291

Just my thoughts, it might cost less to replace the existing awning with an electric one so the DW can extend and retract at will versus repairing the fifth wheel after a wind gust rips the awning off the trailer. Seen it many, many times with awnings that were tied down. Get up in the AM to walk the dogs and some poor guy and his DW are trying to get the awning supports and fabric off the roof. The tie downs were still anchored securely to the ground. Awnings act just like a parachute.

We have an electric awning, the problem is after lowering one side, which i myself can do. The knob that needs to be loosened to retract it is out of reach of my wife. Me being gone at days at a time, It's easy for a storm to pop up and i not be home to close it up. So I'm looking for ways to "beef up" the awning to help protect from heavy winds. We are in a sort of hole in a heavily wooded area and not sure the winds have a good chance to get that high, just looking for added protection for those unpredicted moments, until i can get a good pole barn built over it.

danemayer

Lippert sells the Solera Awnbrella, which consists of several adjustable metal stabilizers that mount on the awning to keep it from flapping. I don't have any experience with it, but they claim it's "Perfect for destination campers who like to leave the awning extended for long periods."

Here's more:

• Adjustable rust-resistant aluminum bows
  • Keeps canopy from flapping in the wind
  • Increases clearance over entry door
  • Prevents canopy from sagging
  • Stops water from pooling
  • Enhances appearance

I'd like to hear how it does in Oklahoma and Colorado.

- - - Updated - - -

We have an electric awning, the problem is after lowering one side, which i myself can do. The knob that needs to be loosened to retract it is out of reach of my wife.

Here's how another owner solved that problem. LINK

RoadJunkie

The awning knobs can be difficult to reach, so I made this tool; You can too! Simple PVC construction, I drilled holes at the edge of the coupling piece and then filed away excess. I cut some sections of non-slip step panels to give the shaft some grip when twisting. Please send royalty payments to my corporate office...:p

Awning tool 3.jpgawning tool 2.jpgAwning tool 1.jpg

The awning knobs can be difficult to reach, so I made this tool; You can too! Simple PVC construction, I drilled holes at the edge of the coupling piece and then filed away excess. I cut some sections of non-slip step panels to give the shaft some grip when twisting. Please send royalty payments to my corporate office...:p

View attachment 56706View attachment 56708View attachment 56707

That looks legit. I'll take 2

- - - Updated - - -

I will work on making the tool. Looks great. Also appreciate the link to Amazon. Found some legs that might do the trick or i may just visit HD and see what i can come up with. I think I'll just keep tilting the awning with it as high up as it is it's no where near low enough to hit your head or feel claustrophobic. Just got to find the right caulk to patch a gap in the gutter to keep it from dripping over my front door. Finding real quick the projects will never end.